The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yohe's Movie Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 63, 64, 65  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked THE POST but also was a little disappointed in it. Still a good movie. Like ***3/8. It wouldn't be in my top 5. I lived thru all of that. Seem like an old style film. I thought Daniel Ellsberg would have a bigger part.---Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellsberg has a bigger part in the movie THE TIMES which oddly enough is the movie that Spielberg chose not to make.

There is a great movie to be made of the heroes Neil Sheehan, James Goodale and Abe Rosenthal at the Times, with additional heros in Senator Mike Gravel assisted by Howard Zinn & Noam Chomsky. In fact, there's easy source material in it:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1939293081

It's a terrific tale that paints all the forces within the Times and outside the Times trying to argue *against* publication, while Goodale was able to argue for publication. Then the lawsuit, which went to the Supreme Court as New York Times vs United States (not WaPo vs US), cause more rollercoaster moments such as the Nixon Administration being able to convince the Times' outside counsel to quit right before it went to SCOTUS and almost torpedo the Times. Seriously... the real story at the Times is a vastly better one than what Speilberg made.

The Post is basically a jerk off to be able to make a movie about Bradlee (playing off All The President's Men) and Graham (who got ignored in that movie). An absolute fucking shame that Speilberg made it. An embarrassment.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Morris wrote:
So many times this.

I get that Yohe didn't like the film and can understand some of his complaints, but everyone griping about Rey's parents needs to stop pretending this must be some sort of mistake.

It's one of the best things about the film -- that you don't have to be part of some special group or heritage to access The Force, just like you don't have to be that to be just about anything else in life.

As John said, being a hero isn't about your heritage or lineage. It's about what you do, so go be one.

I am perhaps biased about this point because I've just finished re-reading a ten book series where one of the major themes is that regular folks from all walks of lives can be great heroes who impact and change the world, even in the face of the Great and Powerful. It also, by the end, deals with the return of a certain type of ability coming not just to the Lords (where it previously was only thought exist) but to common folks.

While Rey being Luke's daughter, or some off shoot of Obi Wan was an intriguing thing to think about back after Force Awakens, when the "nobodies" moment came in the movie, I popped my ass off. People who have no part of the story, and in turn why is a nobody like Rey in the story is what the powerful would wonder.

Because The Force could give two shits about who your parents are. It cares about who *you* are, and therefore could touch anyone.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Force thinks?

Remember in #4, which in time was #1. Nelson Jedi says baby Vader has stuff in him that gives him power over the force & that's why he takes him back to Jedi headquarter to train. It was build into baby Vader right after his virgin birth. The stuff was like bugs in the blood stream. Yeah it was in one of the boring talks with Vader's mother...directed by the great George Lucas. So he was special. So all 6 of the first movies was about Vader being the special one who would use the force to overcome the bad guys. And the Emperer wanted Vader...and Vader wanted Luke...because they were special. Better than everyone else. So in #9, the bad guy will go out & pick anyone off the street....because everyone has the force now. It doesn't hit the spot with me. And 35% of the Jedis on the street will have voted for Trump....and asshole isn't on the dark side....now.

Also in the new movie, what was she doing going into the dark side hole, with all the reflections of herself? What was that about? It's a shithole kid's movie...I'm supposed to get it. (Sorry about the shithole used. At the Thesz site, we can how use the word "shithole"....and I'm so excited I want to used it in every one of my posts.)

I don't want to talk about Star Wars anymore. My jokes suck & I don't care about it.

I'm reading the Leonardo da Vinci book. Maria bought it for me. Do you know that.. if Leonardo da Vinci was born in Montebello....he'd be Leonardo da Montebello? Or maybe Leonardo da Shithole? But I don't think the place is that bad.----Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife Maria has like 7 or 8 grand kids. Two of them have lived with us for like 14 years. Her daughter's house is in back of mine...on the next street. They have kind of grown up & how only come over to see the dog. The oldest is name Francis and she is pretty & has always been very smart. She is now in her 1st year of high school. 5 or 6 days ago, she was sitting around reading a book, while her younger sister was torturing the dog. I asked her how she was doing at school & she said "great". I asked her where she was going to collage & she said Sanford. I told her I hoped she could play football. She then told me her grade point average was 4.00. So... I asked what she was reading & it was THE GOOD EARTH. I told her about the movie & the famous locus scene. She said she didn't know about it.

I then left to watch TV. I checked to see what was going to play on the TCM site. Turn out they were going to have a Luise Rainer night & they were going to play the two movies she won the best actress Oscars for: THE GOOD EARTH & THE GREAT ZIEGFELD...and a interview she did for Turner in 2010....when she was like 101 years old. I set the TV up to tape all three...and told Francis I was going to have the movie for her in a few days. Since she was like 3 years old, we have been watching movies together in my living room...with all the wrestling stuff laying around. It's a shithole. (hey I did it again.).

I taped them & I had seen the interview years ago, but felt like I wanted to see it again. Luise Rainer was like 90 pounds, limped, and lost her hearing aid & couldn't hear. But she was beautiful just wonderful. She is famous for winning the Oscar two years in a row during the 1930's...and a few years later giving it all up because of the studio system. She was from Germany & had a wonderful accent. She worked for MGM & at the time was considered the greatest actress in films. She said that all the actresses at MGM had to sit on Louie B. Maryors's knee....but she said "not Luice Rainer". The head of the studio said "I've let Frankenstein on my lot!". After leaving she married a rich man for 50 years & worked on the stage when she felt liked it. She was just wonderful, but died a short time after the interview.

I had seen THE GOOD EARTH many times, but not THE GREAT ZIEGFELD. I've seen most of the great films, well a good number of them, but if I'm missing any thing it would be a musical. It is my weak spot. I decided to watch it to see Rainer's other Oscar winner & because I knew that Ziegfeld got his start managing the Great Sandow at the Chicago World's Fair. Eugen Sandow was the first great body builder & kind of a rival to George Hackenschmidt. (In the movie Sandow was played by Nat Pendleton, who was a great wrestler who became a major supporting actor in Hollywood. He was very good in the part. Who else could have played it.)

THE GREAT ZIEGFELD was great. For a movie from 1936 it just amazed me. It's a Hollywood bio of Florenz Ziegfeld who is known as the greatest Broadway producer in the beginning of the 20th century & he is played by William Powell one of the classiest actors of all time,...and one of my favorites. It covers all his productions but kind of focus's on his women. Luise Rainer plays his first wife & first major star. She gets 3nd billing and steals every scene she is in. She has the best eyes I've ever seen. All I can say is she is wonderful. This was the 2nd of her Oscars. She breaks with Ziegfeld over another woman...and both are still in love. There is a scene where she calls Powell on the phone after he marrys Myrna Loy & she kills it. Breaks your heart. So Powell ends up with Myrna Loy. She doesn't appear in the movie until 2 hours & 15 minutes have passed. The movie is one of the longest and a class MGM movie.

The first musical sequence, called "A Pretty Girl is Like a Melody", doesn't show up until like a hour into the movie. It's a famous scene & it really is something to see. Ziegfeld does these shows that have like 100's of girls dressed up. This scene is just 180 singers, dancers & women on a stair way to....another great looking chick on the top. The whole thing lasts 15 minutes & it looks like it was filmed in one take. In reality it was two takes. I've never seen anything like it. They say if you watch it real close...you can see a dancer faint at one point. They filmed all of it just once. It cost $220,000 to film in 1936. The whole film cost 2 mil....and the movie made money. The longer the film goes the more dance stuff plays. It's huge & a true classic. ****1/4. Oh ya....William Powell dies at the end. Great movie.---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE GREATEST SHOWMAN is a good movie. If your into musicals, you'll probably like it. It pretty much works. Hollywood PC stuff. All the women in it are very good as is Jackman. I went to see Rebecca Ferguson. ***1/2. Seem to have legs & is making Ok money. It's old style with modern songs. I think the music is by the guy or guys who did LA LA LAND. You'll learn nothing about P. T. Barnum or the 19 century NYC, which is what I was looking for.---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oscar Nominations for 2017

BEST PICTURE
"Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri"
"The Post"
"The Shape Of Water"
"Dunkirk"
"Lady Bird"
"Get Out"
"Call Me By Your Name"
"Phantom Thead"
"Darkest Hour"

Best actress in a leading role
Frances McDormand, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”
Saoirse Ronan, “Lady Bird”
Sally Hawkins, “The Shape of Water”
Margot Robbie, “I, Tonya”
Meryl Streep, “The Post”

Best actor in a leading role
Gary Oldman, “Darkest Hour”
Timothee Chalamet, “Call Me By Your Name”
Daniel Day-Lewis, “Phantom Thread”
Daniel Kaluuya, “Get Out
Denzel Washington, “Roman J. Israel, Esq.”

Best director
Christopher Nolan, “Dunkirk”
Guillermo del Toro, “The Shape of Water”
Jordan Peele, “Get Out”
Greta Gerwig, “Lady Bird”
Paul Thomas Anderson, “Phantom Thread”

Actress in a supporting role
Allison Janney, “I, Tonya”
Laurie Metcalf, “Lady Bird”
Octavia Spencer, “The Shape of Water”
Mary J. Blige, “Mudbound”
Lesley Manville, “Phantom Thread”

Actor in a supporting role
Sam Rockwell, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”
Willem Dafoe, “The Florida Project”
Richard Jenkins, “The Shape of Water”
Christopher Plummer, “All the Money in the World”
Woody Harrelson, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

Best animated feature film
“Coco”
“Loving Vincent”
“The Breadwinner”
“Ferdinand”
“Boss Baby”

Best adapted screenplay
“Call Me By Your Name,” James Ivory
“Mudbound,” Virgil Williams and Dee Rees
“Molly’s Game,” Aaron Sorkin
“The Disaster Artist,” Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber
“Logan,” Scott Frank, James Mangold and Michael Green

Best original screenplay
“Get Out,” Jordan Peele
“Lady Bird,” Greta Gerwig
“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri,” Martin McDonagh
“The Shape of Water,” Guillermo del Toro and Vanessa Taylor
“The Big Sick,” Emily V. Gordon and Kumail Nanjiani

Best original song
“Remember Me,” “Coco”
“Mighty River,” “Mudbound”
“This Is Me,” “The Greatest Showman”
“Mystery of Love,” “Call Me By Your Name”
“Stand Up for Something,” “Marshall”

Best cinematography
“Blade Runner 2049,” Roger Deakins
“The Shape of Water,” Dan Laustsen
“Dunkirk,” Hoyte Van Hoytema
“Mudbound,” Rachel Morrison
“Darkest Hour,” Bruno Delbonnel

Best production design
“The Shape of Water,” Paul D. Austerberry
“Blade Runner 2049,” Dennis Gassner
“Dunkirk,” Nathan Crowley
“Darkest Hour,” Sarah Greenwood
“Beauty and the Beast,” Sarah Greenwood

Best film editing
“Dunkirk,” Lee Smith
“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri,” John Gregory
“The Shape of Water,” Sidney Wolinsky
“Baby Driver,” Jonathan Amos and Paul Machliss
“I, Tonya,” Tatiana S. Riegel

Best original score
“The Shape of Water,” Alexandre Desplat
“Dunkirk,” Hans Zimmer
“Phantom Thread,” Jonny Greenwood
“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri,” Carter Burwell
“Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” John Williams

Best visual effects
“War for the Planet of the Apes,” Joe Letteri, Daniel Barrett, Dan Lemmon and Joel Whist
“Blade Runner 2049,” John Nelson, Gerd Nefzer, Paul Lambert and Richard R. Hoover
“Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” Ben Morris, Mike Mulholland, Neal Scanlan and Chris Corbould
“Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2,” Christopher Townsend, Guy Williams, Jonathan Fawkner and Dan Sudick
“Kong: Skull Island,” Stephen Rosenbaum, Jeff White, Scott Benza and Mike Meinardus

Best costume design
“Phantom Thread,” Mark Bridges
“Beauty and the Beast,” Jacqueline Durran
“The Shape of Water,” Luis Sequeira
“Darkest Hour,” Jacqueline Durran
“Victoria and Abdul,” Consolata Boyle

Best makeup and hair styling
“Wonder,” Arjen Tuiten
“Darkest Hour,” Kazuhiro Tsuji, David Malinowski and Lucy Sibbick
“Victoria and Abdul,” Daniel Phillips and Lou Sheppard

Best sound editing
“Baby Driver,” Julian Slater
“Dunkirk,” Richard King and Alex Gibson
“Blade Runner 2049,” Mark Mangini and Theo Green
“The Shape of Water,” Nathan Robitaille and Nelson Ferreira
“Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” Matthew Wood and Ren Klyce

Best sound editing

Best sound mixing
“Dunkirk”
“The Shape of Water”
“Baby Driver”
“Blade Runner 2049”
“Star Wars: The Last Jedi”
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing in PHANTOM THREAD that make me stop thinking that Daniel Day-Lewis is the greatest pure actor I've seen in my life time. I would not say he has been a major movie (box office) star. But I've never seen a better actor. PHANTOM THREAD is precise, sophisticated, classy, art film, that ends up just being a unique love story.. I think it is almost a perfect movie, considering the subject. I think lovers of great films will love it. In some ways it's a masterpiece. ****1/4. How many people will buy a ticket or be sophistication enough to enjoy it...is an unknown. Daniel Day-Lewis is in very scene & never loses your attention. I can't think of many actors that could pay the part. An unknown named Vicky Krieps plays a women who shows her love by trying to kill Lewis. She reminded me of one of my old nursing aids at the hospital from 6 or 7 years ago....who made my life miserable every night I worked with her...because she was jealous of my respect for another nursing aid. She was strong, a good worker, and I thought a friend....but she just picked apart every one of my weakness as I knew older. Kicked my ass every night. She quit to work in a male prison. I feel sorry for those guys. I used to tell everyone that she was making millions selling cell phones to inmates.

I don't believe the stuff about Daniel Day-Lewis retiring. I think he has been retired for years, and just picking major parts worthy of his talent. He'll be back for the right part......or if money becomes an issue.--Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOSTILES is a good movie and a good western....but it's not a classic. The acting is top notch & most of it is fine. But it has pacing and editing problems & it's not a lot of fun at 2 1/4 hours. I give it ***1/3. It really needed some comic relief. It never lets up. Too many people getting killed on a simple mission that should have been a milk run. Really no one messes with the army. This is a better western that most being put out today, but it needed a John Ford touch....maybe a light Ford touch. It's not on the level of True Grit or Unforgiven. ---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find a movie I want to see. I don't have a lot of money to spend anymore. So I'm going to write about the best picture nominations.

Films good enough to win & I wouldn't be upset if they did:

"Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri"
"The Shape Of Water"
"Dunkirk"
"Lady Bird"
"Phantom Thead"
"Darkest Hour"

A minor film that is Ok but not at the level of the others. It's on the list because they don't want to upset the black moment....which I think is a bunch of young white liberal types. My guess is that there is a quota on black theme films, we have to live with every year. This is the only film I would get upset about winning.

"Get Out"

Also "The Post" which just isn't good enough. It's Ok, but I think it was a rush job between major projects by Stephen.

The only film I'm not going to see. The Long Ranger having sex with a 17 year old boy. With all the PC crap going around, how does this make the cut. Guess there is a quota on gay films too. But I don't know because I'm not going to see it....unless it wins:

"Call Me By Your Name"

Who I think will win:

"The Shape Of Water"

Who I would vote for:

I planed to go for "Dunkirk" all year. It an epic production. The type I believe should win best picture. A masterpiece. I also have strong feelings for "Darkest Hour".....but "The Shape Of Water" is just too wonderful. So it gets my vote. "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri" is very good & I like it a lot....but tell me....who killed the daughter? I resist that style of film making where the movie doesn't resolve it's ending. A film should start with the ending and work off of that. I think they had their finish, but didn't go with it, because they wanted to be different.

"Lady Bird" is wonderful, but not my type of movie. Have tons of respect for it. Could win. Has a woman director.....that may get the votes this year. I don't mind because it's worthy film.

If "Phantom Thead" won....I would go nuts. It's another masterpiece but I don't know if it draws basic movie go'ers and it came out late with very little press. If it did win....I'd be very happy for it.

This was one of the best years for good movies. Can't complain about too much.----Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BEST ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE:

Frances McDormand, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri” always plays her screwy characters & insiders love her & she wins all the awards. But it's the same stuff & maybe she is just so screwy in real life, that people thing she's great on screen. She has her Oscar already & this role is easy for her. I think she'll win, but I'll not be happy about it.

Saoirse Ronan, “Lady Bird” She is one of the great new actors & she is super in this. I would be happy for her if she won. They seem to be spreading the awards around these days. Everyone gets something...and no one cleans up all the awards anymore. This may be Lady Bird's Oscar.

Sally Hawkins, “The Shape of Water” I would vote for her. She is magic in this movie. I didn't know who she was going in. Great Actress who may not ever get a part like this again. I would vote for her & I really want her to win. But unless things change & The Shape of Water" is on a row. She may not. My pick.

Margot Robbie, “I, Tonya” Very popular but I didn't want to see this movie. You know she'll eat it up. But no, not this year.

Meryl Streep, “The Post” Not one of her top performances. Still she gets her respect.

BEST ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE:

Gary Oldman, “Darkest Hour” Closest thing to a lock for the award. He is the whole movie & it's major. I vote for him. A killer role for a major guy who doesn't get much attention.

Timothee Chalamet, “Call Me By Your Name” A hot young actor who is getting parts.

Daniel Day-Lewis, “Phantom Thread” Greatest but not the years.

Daniel Kaluuya, “Get Out" Yeah get out of this list.

Denzel Washington, “Roman J. Israel, Esq.” He is really good but the movie isn't well thought of. Worthy performance. He is kind of thought of as the back Meryl Streep. I liked the movie & him. Not his year, but nomination is a good thing.

BEST DIRECTOR:

Christopher Nolan, “Dunkirk” A lot of people want him to win. I think he'll win the next time.

Guillermo del Toro, “The Shape of Water” His movie is great & no one else could make with his touch. One of our great movie makers. I would vote for him.

Jordan Peele, “Get Out” WHAT...get out!

Greta Gerwig, “Lady Bird” She did a great job. Wonderful film & maybe harder to make that del Toro's movie. I have strong feeling the woman vote will get her the Oscar. She is worthy & maybe it's the best thing for everyone. I think this will be Lady Birds bone. It also would be historic. Altho I don't think she could make Hell Boy.

Paul Thomas Anderson, “Phantom Thread” Great director but it's not going to happen. He should Just be happy he made a classic that will live on.---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACTTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLEe
Allison Janney, “I, Tonya”
Laurie Metcalf, “Lady Bird”
Octavia Spencer, “The Shape of Water”
Mary J. Blige, “Mudbound”
Lesley Manville, “Phantom Thread”

Yohe: I think Laurie Metcalf has a lock on it.

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Sam Rockwell, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”
Willem Dafoe, “The Florida Project”
Richard Jenkins, “The Shape of Water”
Christopher Plummer, “All the Money in the World”
Woody Harrelson, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

Yohe: Anyone winning this besides Sam Rockwell would be a huge upset & tell you how the night is going to go. He impressed me more than any other actor in 2017. If Jenkins wins...look out. Plummer did nothing with his role...same old (& I mean old) stuff from him in a weak movie.

Best animated feature film
“Coco”
“Loving Vincent”
“The Breadwinner”
“Ferdinand”
“Boss Baby”

Yohe: A pure guess is Coco. I saw none of them. Liked Coco's trailer.

BEST ADAPTED SCREEPLAY:

“Call Me By Your Name,” James Ivory
“Mudbound,” Virgil Williams and Dee Rees
“Molly’s Game,” Aaron Sorkin
“The Disaster Artist,” Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber
“Logan,” Scott Frank, James Mangold and Michael Green

Yohe: Aaron Sorkin's script is the whole film. I think he is one of the best & my pick. Might be a bone to a interesting good movie. Ivory might win. All I know is I like Sorkin...everything else is a guess.

BEST ORIDINAL SCREENPLAY:

“Get Out,” Jordan Peele
“Lady Bird,” Greta Gerwig
“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri,” Martin McDonagh
“The Shape of Water,” Guillermo del Toro and Vanessa Taylor
“The Big Sick,” Emily V. Gordon and Kumail Nanjiani

Yohe: I think it's a Greta Gerwig night. May be a bone if she doesn't get director. The only not worthy film that would make we sick is "Get Out". The other three are strong screenplays. I just think it's a woman's night to win.

BEST ORIGINAL SONG:

“Remember Me,” “Coco”
“Mighty River,” “Mudbound”
“This Is Me,” “The Greatest Showman”
“Mystery of Love,” “Call Me By Your Name”
“Stand Up for Something,” “Marshall”

Yohe: No idea. I liked "This is Me" & my vote would go there.

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY:

“Blade Runner 2049,” Roger Deakins
“The Shape of Water,” Dan Laustsen
“Dunkirk,” Hoyte Van Hoytema
“Mudbound,” Rachel Morrison
“Darkest Hour,” Bruno Delbonnel

Yohe: Blade Runner 2 has my vote. It is my favorite movie of the year. Deakins has been nominated 14 times without winning. Dunkirk's cinematography was super. I think they will give it to the woman.

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN:

“The Shape of Water,” Paul D. Austerberry
“Blade Runner 2049,” Dennis Gassner
“Dunkirk,” Nathan Crowley
“Darkest Hour,” Sarah Greenwood
“Beauty and the Beast,” Sarah Greenwood

Yohe: Blade Runner 2 because I'm bias. It didn't get nominated because it is well known it didn't make money, but it made more that 80% of the other movies. "The Shape Of Water" might win, and if it does it may row over the rest of the night...but that doesn't happen anymore. "Dunkirk" should get a Oscar for something. Hey Sarah is a woman?

BEST FILM EDITING:

“Dunkirk,” Lee Smith
“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri,” John Gregory
“The Shape of Water,” Sidney Wolinsky
“Baby Driver,” Jonathan Amos and Paul Machliss
“I, Tonya,” Tatiana S. Riegel

Yohe: I think "Dunkirk" has revolutionary editing...with multiple perspective & playing around with time....and getting the audience to accept it. That made it more than just another war movie. I would think this is a sure bet. But then who knows?

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE:

“The Shape of Water,” Alexandre Desplat
“Dunkirk,” Hans Zimmer
“Phantom Thread,” Jonny Greenwood
“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri,” Carter Burwell
“Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” John Williams

Yohe: Anyone but Star Wars. I would vote for "Shape Of Water". Really the best music score was for "Blade Runner 2". Strange & powerful that made the movie great.

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS:

“War for the Planet of the Apes,” Joe Letteri, Daniel Barrett, Dan Lemmon and Joel Whist
“Blade Runner 2049,” John Nelson, Gerd Nefzer, Paul Lambert and Richard R. Hoover
“Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” Ben Morris, Mike Mulholland, Neal Scanlan and Chris Corbould
“Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2,” Christopher Townsend, Guy Williams, Jonathan Fawkner and Dan Sudick
“Kong: Skull Island,” Stephen Rosenbaum, Jeff White, Scott Benza and Mike Meinardus

Yohe: I vote for Blade Runner 2. Kong was the absolute worst of the year. You need really dinosaurs not big bugs in a King Kong movie. If it wins...I turn off my TV.

BEST COSTUME DESIGN:
“Phantom Thread,” Mark Bridges
“Beauty and the Beast,” Jacqueline Durran
“The Shape of Water,” Luis Sequeira
“Darkest Hour,” Jacqueline Durran
“Victoria and Abdul,” Consolata Boyle

Yohe: "Phantom Thread". It need a Oscar for something.

BEST MAKEUP AND HAIR STYLING:

“Wonder,” Arjen Tuiten
“Darkest Hour,” Kazuhiro Tsuji, David Malinowski and Lucy Sibbick
“Victoria and Abdul,” Daniel Phillips and Lou Sheppard

Yohe: I think "Darkest Hour" has a lock on this.

BEST SOUND EDITING:

Yohe: Either "Dunkirk" or "Blade Runner 2". Really I think it's "Dunkirk". Sound played a big park in that film.

Best sound editing

Yohe: I don't know. Four of them are great. I guess "Dunkirk".

BEST SOUND MIXING:

“Dunkirk”
“The Shape of Water”
“Baby Driver”
“Blade Runner 2049”
“Star Wars: The Last Jedi”

Yohe: "Dunkirk" .....maybe "Blade Runner 2"

Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought BLACK PANTHER was just Ok. Boseman & Jordan and the other actors were good. There was a lot of cli-che stuff in it, and if they did get away with it....it was because it was a all black film. There is only one other Avenger in the movie & he is in the weak post-credits. Has nothing to do with the next Avenger movie. ***1/8. Keeps the string going for Marvel, but not much else. I think it will open big & then fade pretty fast. It explains how Capt. America will get his shield back.---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw RED SPARROW & liked it some. Everything was Ok. Jennifer Lawrence is better looking to me because she's older. This seemed like a real performance. I'm not into Joel Edgerton....but he was Ok in this. So *** 1/16. I feel like I missed something at the end, but don't make me explain.

I was looking at the reviews at IMBd, and there was some criticism saying that this film being set in present day is wrong....because it's more like the cold war of the 1960's. My thinking was "WHAT THE FUCK!" Don't you read the newspapers with hacking, and the Russian mafia, wild peeing women subduing everyone, &, ex-spies getting gassed to death, and a actual spy president. FUCK...it's worst than the cold war.

Then I realized. It's probably the same Russian hackers, that made Trump president, that are writing the reviews at IMDb. No anti-Russian movie will ever get a good review again. The Russians will rig it from now on. Who is left to stop them?

If's what the Indians should have done 80 years ago.

Also another present day thing in movies now bugs me....Lawrence is a badass but the American is like a mini-James Bond guy....it's kind of like FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE....and there is a killer assassin hench man following them & killing people. I was thinking that would be the bone to the male hero....and he would have a spot where he'd show up & fight the bad guy & save the chick. Then I thought...."Wait, they haven't done that in 25 years"....the chicks watching the movie would throw a shit fit...seeing a woman getting saved by a "MAN". So I was right....Jennifer kicks the shit out of the bad guys. Joel baby ends up in the hospital without the girl.---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to go back & edit that last post. I misspelled the word fuck.---Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 63, 64, 65  Next
Page 64 of 65

Jump to: