The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yohe's Movie Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked THE POST but also was a little disappointed in it. Still a good movie. Like ***3/8. It wouldn't be in my top 5. I lived thru all of that. Seem like an old style film. I thought Daniel Ellsberg would have a bigger part.---Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellsberg has a bigger part in the movie THE TIMES which oddly enough is the movie that Spielberg chose not to make.

There is a great movie to be made of the heroes Neil Sheehan, James Goodale and Abe Rosenthal at the Times, with additional heros in Senator Mike Gravel assisted by Howard Zinn & Noam Chomsky. In fact, there's easy source material in it:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1939293081

It's a terrific tale that paints all the forces within the Times and outside the Times trying to argue *against* publication, while Goodale was able to argue for publication. Then the lawsuit, which went to the Supreme Court as New York Times vs United States (not WaPo vs US), cause more rollercoaster moments such as the Nixon Administration being able to convince the Times' outside counsel to quit right before it went to SCOTUS and almost torpedo the Times. Seriously... the real story at the Times is a vastly better one than what Speilberg made.

The Post is basically a jerk off to be able to make a movie about Bradlee (playing off All The President's Men) and Graham (who got ignored in that movie). An absolute fucking shame that Speilberg made it. An embarrassment.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Morris wrote:
So many times this.

I get that Yohe didn't like the film and can understand some of his complaints, but everyone griping about Rey's parents needs to stop pretending this must be some sort of mistake.

It's one of the best things about the film -- that you don't have to be part of some special group or heritage to access The Force, just like you don't have to be that to be just about anything else in life.

As John said, being a hero isn't about your heritage or lineage. It's about what you do, so go be one.

I am perhaps biased about this point because I've just finished re-reading a ten book series where one of the major themes is that regular folks from all walks of lives can be great heroes who impact and change the world, even in the face of the Great and Powerful. It also, by the end, deals with the return of a certain type of ability coming not just to the Lords (where it previously was only thought exist) but to common folks.

While Rey being Luke's daughter, or some off shoot of Obi Wan was an intriguing thing to think about back after Force Awakens, when the "nobodies" moment came in the movie, I popped my ass off. People who have no part of the story, and in turn why is a nobody like Rey in the story is what the powerful would wonder.

Because The Force could give two shits about who your parents are. It cares about who *you* are, and therefore could touch anyone.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Force thinks?

Remember in #4, which in time was #1. Nelson Jedi says baby Vader has stuff in him that gives him power over the force & that's why he takes him back to Jedi headquarter to train. It was build into baby Vader right after his virgin birth. The stuff was like bugs in the blood stream. Yeah it was in one of the boring talks with Vader's mother...directed by the great George Lucas. So he was special. So all 6 of the first movies was about Vader being the special one who would use the force to overcome the bad guys. And the Emperer wanted Vader...and Vader wanted Luke...because they were special. Better than everyone else. So in #9, the bad guy will go out & pick anyone off the street....because everyone has the force now. It doesn't hit the spot with me. And 35% of the Jedis on the street will have voted for Trump....and asshole isn't on the dark side....now.

Also in the new movie, what was she doing going into the dark side hole, with all the reflections of herself? What was that about? It's a shithole kid's movie...I'm supposed to get it. (Sorry about the shithole used. At the Thesz site, we can how use the word "shithole"....and I'm so excited I want to used it in every one of my posts.)

I don't want to talk about Star Wars anymore. My jokes suck & I don't care about it.

I'm reading the Leonardo da Vinci book. Maria bought it for me. Do you know that.. if Leonardo da Vinci was born in Montebello....he'd be Leonardo da Montebello? Or maybe Leonardo da Shithole? But I don't think the place is that bad.----Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife Maria has like 7 or 8 grand kids. Two of them have lived with us for like 14 years. Her daughter's house is in back of mine...on the next street. They have kind of grown up & how only come over to see the dog. The oldest is name Francis and she is pretty & has always been very smart. She is now in her 1st year of high school. 5 or 6 days ago, she was sitting around reading a book, while her younger sister was torturing the dog. I asked her how she was doing at school & she said "great". I asked her where she was going to collage & she said Sanford. I told her I hoped she could play football. She then told me her grade point average was 4.00. So... I asked what she was reading & it was THE GOOD EARTH. I told her about the movie & the famous locus scene. She said she didn't know about it.

I then left to watch TV. I checked to see what was going to play on the TCM site. Turn out they were going to have a Luise Rainer night & they were going to play the two movies she won the best actress Oscars for: THE GOOD EARTH & THE GREAT ZIEGFELD...and a interview she did for Turner in 2010....when she was like 101 years old. I set the TV up to tape all three...and told Francis I was going to have the movie for her in a few days. Since she was like 3 years old, we have been watching movies together in my living room...with all the wrestling stuff laying around. It's a shithole. (hey I did it again.).

I taped them & I had seen the interview years ago, but felt like I wanted to see it again. Luise Rainer was like 90 pounds, limped, and lost her hearing aid & couldn't hear. But she was beautiful just wonderful. She is famous for winning the Oscar two years in a row during the 1930's...and a few years later giving it all up because of the studio system. She was from Germany & had a wonderful accent. She worked for MGM & at the time was considered the greatest actress in films. She said that all the actresses at MGM had to sit on Louie B. Maryors's knee....but she said "not Luice Rainer". The head of the studio said "I've let Frankenstein on my lot!". After leaving she married a rich man for 50 years & worked on the stage when she felt liked it. She was just wonderful, but died a short time after the interview.

I had seen THE GOOD EARTH many times, but not THE GREAT ZIEGFELD. I've seen most of the great films, well a good number of them, but if I'm missing any thing it would be a musical. It is my weak spot. I decided to watch it to see Rainer's other Oscar winner & because I knew that Ziegfeld got his start managing the Great Sandow at the Chicago World's Fair. Eugen Sandow was the first great body builder & kind of a rival to George Hackenschmidt. (In the movie Sandow was played by Nat Pendleton, who was a great wrestler who became a major supporting actor in Hollywood. He was very good in the part. Who else could have played it.)

THE GREAT ZIEGFELD was great. For a movie from 1936 it just amazed me. It's a Hollywood bio of Florenz Ziegfeld who is known as the greatest Broadway producer in the beginning of the 20th century & he is played by William Powell one of the classiest actors of all time,...and one of my favorites. It covers all his productions but kind of focus's on his women. Luise Rainer plays his first wife & first major star. She gets 3nd billing and steals every scene she is in. She has the best eyes I've ever seen. All I can say is she is wonderful. This was the 2nd of her Oscars. She breaks with Ziegfeld over another woman...and both are still in love. There is a scene where she calls Powell on the phone after he marrys Myrna Loy & she kills it. Breaks your heart. So Powell ends up with Myrna Loy. She doesn't appear in the movie until 2 hours & 15 minutes have passed. The movie is one of the longest and a class MGM movie.

The first musical sequence, called "A Pretty Girl is Like a Melody", doesn't show up until like a hour into the movie. It's a famous scene & it really is something to see. Ziegfeld does these shows that have like 100's of girls dressed up. This scene is just 180 singers, dancers & women on a stair way to....another great looking chick on the top. The whole thing lasts 15 minutes & it looks like it was filmed in one take. In reality it was two takes. I've never seen anything like it. They say if you watch it real close...you can see a dancer faint at one point. They filmed all of it just once. It cost $220,000 to film in 1936. The whole film cost 2 mil....and the movie made money. The longer the film goes the more dance stuff plays. It's huge & a true classic. ****1/4. Oh ya....William Powell dies at the end. Great movie.---Steve Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64
Page 64 of 64

Jump to: