The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2018/2019 NBA Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
corrado

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah with Boogie going to the Warriors, its a much tougher road for any East team. And West team of course.

He's supposed to be 100% by december/January. Perhaps just in time for Christmas with the Warriors against the Lakers in all likelihood.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a riot.

I doubt the Warriors are going to push him to come back soon.
guren

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True story - I named my new Sheltie puppy that I got a couple of months ago "Boogie". Next year when I yell at my TV, the dog is either going to think he did something special or I'm pissed off at him. I don't necessarily love the move from a basketball standpoint, but I am all in for the entertainment value. I was pretty bored by the Dubs during the regular season this past year. With LeBron (and possibly Kawhi) on the Lakers, the Rox still being the Rox, and the Dubs adding Cousins, perhaps they will be a bit more energized next season.

glenn
guren

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is weirder - the Lakers signing Rondo, Born Ready, and JaVale, or the Wizards trading for Doc's son and signing Dwight and Jeff Green?
corrado

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add to the weird factor, the fact that Tony Parker signed with a team other than the Spurs. A 2-year deal with the Hornets.

So that means Manu will be the last man standing of "the big 3" of the Spurs.
corrado

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems the Rockets are very interested in Melo once his exit is official.

That would be quite the step down for Houston. Losing Ariza and mbah a monte, and gaining a liability in Melo.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny...I named my dog booger. Guess I got it wrong.---Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
Houston seems to be screwing up the 2nd best team in the NBA. Hope Paul gets injured earlier this year.--Yohe

Losing Ariza hurts, but he wasn't going to sign for a massive discount. They are tight with the cap tax, and will be even tighter when they resign Capella.

Mbah a Moute is relatively cheap, but even $4M is expensive when you're that far up against the tax max.

James Ennis is a pretty nice cheapo D&3 wing pick up who should see his 3P% jump back up to 2016/17 level in MDA's offense and Beard & CP3 creating open looks.

Michael Carter-Williams is literally *only* a defensive player, but quite a good one. He's a very big guard at 6-6, so he'll be one of those switch guys.

They aren't quite the 6-8 that Ariza and Mbah a Moute were, but not far off.

They resigned Gerald Green for extremely cheap money. He's Gerald Green, so you don't trust him as far as you can throw him. But at that money he's really no risk. They also got real good bench play from him in the half a season that they signed him for.

My guess is that they will close the Capella deal. That limits their moves going forward.

They have issues dumping Ryan Anderson's contract. There's a catch 22 with Anderson - he is the type of player who help you win regular season games to get that #1 seed, but eventually in the playoffs he will hit a team that can play him off the court. The Dubs are such a team. You'd like Anderson at $8M-$10M a year. At $20M a year, especially multi-year, it's a killer.

Were they can really screw things up is by signing Melo.

I would rather keep the team together and add folks like Ennis and MCW for even more depth and match up options. But when you have Capella, Ariza and Mbah a Moute all up for contracts, and Capella is in demand around the NBA as a RFA, it tough to bring them all back. All teams run into this with their young players who are good, but not really superstars. We ran into it with Randle. They can cost more than they are worth, and their 4 year contracts clog up their payroll. The difference is that Capella is more valuable to a title team than Randle. Which means you kinda have to sign him, and say good buy to the likes of Ariza.
corrado

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Kawhi will be a Raptor this year. The rumored trade would have him going to Toronto with Danny Green for Derozan, Jakob Poelti, and a protected 2019 1st rounder. Its already rumored that Kawhi is unhappy about the trade.

Could be a messy deal. But if it happens, this would benefit the Spurs. it gets an unhappy Kawhi out of their hands. And Toronto would get someone who probably won't be around in 2019 with them.
JAG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news.

Ingram and Kuzma are still on the Lakers and Kawhi is on pace to be in 11 months and two weeks.

Jagdip
corrado

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawhi is threatening to sit out the season:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nba-trade-rumors-kawhi-leonard-news-raptors-spurs-vince-carter-contract-lakers/g0o0708ta34f1s01byfie478v

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/kawhi-leonard-demar-derozan-trade-what-happens-if-leonard-refuses-to-play-for-the-raptors/

So it could be a year and a half before he plays again. At the Staples Center.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not going to sit out the year. He puts hit free agency at risk of he sits out 30 days of the regular season and the Raptors want to push that he's faking the health issue by that point. On top of that, the entire NBA will push the Raptors to take such a stand because no one wants to see their stars in the future follow Kawhi's path - believed by his team to tank one season pretending to be hurt, then clearly tanking a second season pretending to be hurt to try to force the situation.

Players already have a tone of leverage. Most of it isn't going to be going away. But this is one where management will want to draw lines in the sand. We tend to forget that the last time management/ownership got together to draw lines in the sand, they flat out kicked the living shit out of the players. Stunned the shit out of me that the players caved. And while they talk a lot about rolling back that rollback in the next CBS, I don't have 100% faith that they will.

John
JAG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He ainít sitting out.

This will come down to how well Toronto is doing when winter comes and then Masai will decide if he wants to flip him or not and what he will accept from the Lakers or Clips (I suppose).

Canít see Magic caving on Ingram-Kuzma-Lonzo unless LeBron asks for it. Totally possible depending on how Lakers season is going.

Buckle up.

Jagdip
corrado

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melo goes to the Hawks but he'll be released soon to go to Houston most likely:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24141942/oklahoma-city-thunder-trade-carmelo-anthony-atlanta-hawks-dennis-schroder-mike-muscala

OKC did pretty good this offseason. They surprisingly kept PG, and got rid of the Melo deal.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carmelo to Houston will destroy that team.---Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: