The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yohe's Movie Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70, 71  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fury Road has very few holes. It is also exceptional in laying the seeds for things that pay off later that you don't even notice being laid or paying off. The whole Blood thing is off the charts, including small details in it on how it's shot and sound-mixed. Shit... there are mounts of video analysis online breaking down all sorts of stuff in it. Not saying it's a lock as the greatest action movie of all time (I tend to go to Die Hard), but Fury Road has a strong claim for being the best.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can give a transfusion like they did in that movie. And that would be a "hole". A lot of the car stuff is impossible. And the people in that movie eat less green stuff than me. But it's good...and Miller creates a world...and you just have to believe.---Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my movie review fans, and there seems to be at least one or two, are complaining about me not posting any reviews. The trouble is I can't find one I'm interesting in seeing.

This site seems like a ghost town anyway. John doesn't even post here. It's the place to come to...to talk to yourself. I think there was two too many "to's" in that sentence. Sorry.--Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I'll try this. I like Michael Moore but FARRENHEIT 11/9 is a huge disappointment. It's a mess. Not well made, filled with stuff off TV. Editing is bad & it jumps around. But what really pisses me off is it's a attack on the Democratic party, Obama, both Clinton's Pelosi etc. It starts with all the normal Trump stuff...that we watch every night on MSNBC...for 45 minutes, then the rest is just an attack on Democrats. It come at a time when we reall have to run over the asshole Rebs in the election or lost our democracy. We have to blow Trump away. Then we can fix stuff like delegates to conventions. We need to stick together for three years, not fall apart. This film destroys Obama for faking the drinking of water in Flint. It makes it seem like one party is as bad as the other. So why bother to vote in November? We are doomed with this asshole Trump, it will be the same way Hitler won a election. Split the other party. I'm glad I'll be dead in two years (or after GAME OF THRONES ends & I have the blue ray to take with me). Also Moore's movie isn't funny...it's very sad. We need the women to take over fast, because we are lost. ** . This movie helps nothing---Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm here and reading. Waiting for the NBA pre-season to start on Sunday. Keep posting...
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VENOM didn't seem like a major film. I like watching Tom Hardy, who is more like Woody Allen in this movie than anything else he's done, and Williams (John's Sister ??). Stuff between Venom and Hardy is fun & I enjoy that....but it has so much action, there isn't enough of that for me. The movie has problems. CG crazy. Maybe too big & powerful. You now have a hero that has to eat the heads of people to survive. How much can you do with that? It just doesn't work....but it's interesting & fun at times. I give it ***. From the crowd on the first night it's looks like a bomb. I saw it in Long Beach, and I asked if it was doing well...the girl said the 5:30 show sold 5% & the 7:30 show sold 8%. So it had no pre-sell. During the showing it was about 45% sold. This was a big premiere showing for a Marvel film....well maybe Sony. The film didn't make the right choices, like Marvel always does. The after credits short preview that Marvel always does....was 10 minute section from the Spiderman cartoon that comes out in the next few weeks. Seemed out of place...and Spider Man is now going to be a black guy. Why stop there lets made him a trans sexual with huge tits? Think of all the people, who will feel better about life, seeing themselves as Spider Man? They need to create news super heros, not change the old ones.

You know Disney, in the Fox deal, got the rights the Conan the Barbarian. So Dark Horse lost it's rights to Marvel. Marvel Comics dumped Conan in 1988 and that's when they had Roy Thomas & John Buscema. So that should end Conan in films & comics. It's either that or a lot of crap.---Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange. Mojo indicated it did an October record for previews:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4443&p=.htm

Indicates the studio is expecting a $55M opening. I thought it would bomb, so that's a lot more than I expected.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well not in Long Beach. Maybe everyone went to the Dodger game?--Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$32M on Friday, now projected for $70M+ weekend. Like I said, I thought it would bomb.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE MAG was about as stupid a movie as you could make. Made tons of money. Hard to tell anymore. A lot of things involved. I went to Venom because all the other movies have been not watchable for some time. I like going to the movies, but not junk or topics I don't care about. That was my motivation for going. It also had 2 actor who are on my list of careers I want to follow. Movie stars still mean something to me.---Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Oscar season has started. FIRST MAN is a major movie. It is a dead serious movie filmed in close ups (which I would normally hate, but it works in this film) & through the perspective of Neil Armstrong to highlight the dangers they all when through to get to the moon. ****1/4 After this film & after Blade Runner 2, Ryan Gosling seems to have a claim to the top actor level. Both him & Claire Foy will get nominated & both could win. Gosling is very powerful in the part of a complicated intelligent man. It basically is a two actor show. Has a chance to be best picture. Not fun in any way. Realistic in every detail. Don't know how well it will do at the box office. Can a serious film still make money?---Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunkirk made $180M+ last year. That is Nolan, and he does have a track record of doing box office... though I don't think his name sold that movie.

There's one or two movies like each year that which make money. Kind of depends on how one defines "serious". Does Dunkirk have too much action to be a serious movie? It's a war movie... but not really a typical action war movie as it's not a standard narrative... really a very different type of war movie given it's (intentionally and rather awesome) disjointed narrative.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE OLD MAN AND A GUN is Robert Redford's last movie & he plays a character that comes off as a older version of the guys we saw in the STING or The Sundance Kid. Going in everyone knows it's Redford's last movie & that probably sells more tickets than anything else. I thought it was a fun, & interesting movie made for people over 60. No over the top violence. Robert robs a lot of banks, but he is always a good guy. Flirts with the women he robs & he leaves them liking him. It's the movie I thought it was going to be, so that's good. I'm thinking ***1/8 I don't think anyone under 25 will care for it. Casey Affleck plays a cop who hunts him, but doesn't really want to catch him. No one really wants to catch the "over the hill gang" because they were just nice old guys, who told jokes. The trouble only comes when, by accident, they steal too much & the feds show up. Basted on a famous real bank robber who broke out of jail 16 times. (SPOILER) Covers his complete career, and Redford dates Sissy Spacek. There is no real bad guys. The end is respectful to Redfort & he doesn't die. Just seems like a cool farewell to his long time fans....who knew him before Captain America II. ---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE SISTERS BROTHERS is a major western and I liked everything about it. Serious but fun....but I wouldn't say it's funny. Violent but humane. Has all the elements of a good western, but seem fresh. All four actors are great. The characters act like real humans. Filled with gunfights & never boring. ***2/3 I had been waiting for this film to go city wide for a monthy & it didn't let me down.---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like violence, monster movies & horror films if done right...that being said HALLOWEEN (2018) is terrible. Hasn't changed in 40 years. *1/3 It's just cheap crap, with no art or skill involved. Kind of made me sick... like in watching WWE Monday Night Raw. I'm very sorry I went to this movie & it's the last slasher movie I'll ever see.---Steve Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70, 71  Next
Page 69 of 71

Jump to: