The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yohe's Movie Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 71, 72, 73  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I skipped SPLIT too....because I though it was a horror/slasher film. I lost interest in him a long time ago. So I agree. But I liked GRASS. And it made 80 m on a 20 m investment in the first weekend...so that was smart.---Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE is a good movie. The animation is great, character are right on, and they got the Spider-Man history right. There are a few thing I think are too much....like everything blowing up at the end. ***1/2 Has a shot at an Oscar. Is it the best Spider-Man film? I think the Marvel version is better, but I'm not really into animation. But then isn't CG...animation. The art does produce some real feeling & emotion. I had a good day.---Steve Yohe
guren

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was finally able to watch Annihilation last night on Amazon Prime. The movie was compelling from beginning to end, but... I need to watch it again. I missed the nuances of some important scenes that I had read about in various reviews.

The scenes from inside The Shimmer are beautiful to look at, even on my home system. However, I also found it distracting in a way because the plain look of the people was incongruous with the spectacular colors in the background. As the characters were walking through The Shimmer, I kept thinking they were obviously green-screened into the scene, or the filmmaker used a technique to super-saturate the background colors. Anyway, that is just a minor quibble. I am not generally a fan of science fiction, but I appreciated the Big Questions™ that Annihilation was asking.

glenn
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SERENITY is another Matthew McConaughy bomb in a long line of bombs. It's as goofy as his commercials. He looks like a movie star & he has something that seems like talent...but shit...really? I liked the first 50%. I liked the island & the big fish & the sex with Diane Lane & the cat....but there are huge holes that needed to be filled...other than Lane's. McConaughy is watchable....and he should be a movie star, but his choice of material is crazy. His cool is so out of control that it turns him into a nerd. About haft way thru it turns from being a strange film noir to being a computer movie. Kind of like West World crossed with a bad Twilight Zone...with a little Moby Dick thrown in. A nothing is real type thing. Anne Hathaway's career is in bad shape too. She is miscast as a wife who gets raped & whipped by her husband for years, and then Matthew has sex with her too. She needs to find of good movie really fast & stop cutting her hair. So **3/5...mainly because of the fish.

So I'm sure McConaughy can see his problem...but then his next movie in called THE BEACH BUM. It's a story about a rebellious stoner named Moondog who lives by his own rules. His co-star is Snoop Dog. Until he get another call by Christopher Nolan, I wouldn't invest any $ on Matthew's movies.--Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is pretty amazing how many bombs he's had.

Hathaway is doing okay. Ocean's 8 was a hit, and not crazy expensive. Wouldn't be surprised if we see an Ocean's 9 at some point. The Intern did well given the budget. Alice was a bomb, but Depp got blamed for that and it was probably just a cash grab on her part.

Her next movie has some potential to be the May "chick flick" counter programing all the male action movies. Needs to be good to be a hit, but the source material is actually pretty good and flipping it to being women could be fun. She has another one going into production that looks like Oscar bait if it's decent.

She had a kid in 2016, so likely scaled back things just a bit. She's at the age where she's transitioning in the characters she will play. My guess that's one of the reasons for the Oscar bait movie opposite Ruffalo.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to like her a lot, but I think she's lost her box office appeal in the last few years. Her agent is keeping her away from films that prove or disapove that. They are putting her in films with a lot of other actress or with male stars who will take the blame. Maybe her draw was her youth-full look. She isn't an over the top physical great looker. Cutting her hair, damaged her look. To me, she is a Audrey Hepburn type, but she may end up as Kathern Ross. She should be playing smart classy parts & not sluts having sex with Matthew McConaughy. She seems to be playing victims a lot. You don't want to turn into a actress who fills roles for directors, you want to be the star they need for their movie.

All actresses have this problem at some point. I do think she'll turn this around in some form. She has friends and contacts. Maybe she'll find a role that turn things around....or she'll end up on TV. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong. We'll see.--Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see that she every has been a draw. She's been in movies that have drawn, rather than being the person drawing. That's kind of been her whole career all the way back to being a kid in The Princess Diaries.

She's carver an interesting path. She's been willing to work potential blockbusters, like Batman and Alice in Wonderland. She's taken indy type movies, some which break big (Brokeback Mountain) and some that don't (Colossal).

She's had only two productions so far since having her kid. One was a very good hit given the budget - Ocean's 8. The other is this movie, which is a bomb and really poorly reviewed. It's also a cheap movie despite the star power, so I don't think anyone takes much of a hit over it other than Matt and the director/writer.

Her three movies leading into having the kid were a hit given the budget (The Intern), a bomb given the big budget (the Alice sequel), and a small budget quirky movie that bombed but was well received by critics (Colossal). Those three movies pretty well sum up her post-Princess career - some small hits, willingness to do big budget, and willingness to still do small quicky movies.

The real test for her are The Hustle coming up (to see her chick-flick buddy movie potential) along with the Ruffalo movie (Oscar bait).
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Her big movie was THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA & I liked it with her playing off of Meryl Streep. She was the lead. I think it's a major film because of Streep.

I also liked LOVE & OTHER DRUGS. Underrated.

THE INTERN was all De Niro.

OCEAN'S EIGHT she played a doppy actress & the others got the cool parts. I remember it as kind of a cameo.

Her next is THE HUSTLE & it a comical con man, woman movie. A remake switching in women for old male stars. I don't see much hope in it & I don't think she does comedy well. Rebe Wilson may have to carry the movie & it doesn't seem like much. Could bomb.

THE WITCHES seems like a big deal. Has Zemeckis directing. She is the only actor announced. She is playing a witch. Could it be a supporting role to someone not signed. It says witches? Is this a movie based on the Wizard of OZ witches..that was a huge stage hit??? Producers are Cuaron & del Toro. Does she speak Spanish? This seem like the film that with prove my ideas or not.

Your post might be right, that she never really was major. We'll see.---Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL is an Ok CG movie, that could have been a mess but they held it together. It's an over the top action film filled with fights between robots. I thought the fights were done well. But that's all it is. It creates a SF world that is interesting. The CG is good CG....as you would expect from James Cameron.....and it really is Cameron's film. I give it ***1/3. The problem is that they over spent (175 mil to 200 mil) and it would take a huge hit to make money....but Cameron always got away with spending until this movie. I don't think it will make 400 mil.

This leads to Cameron's AVATAR 2. The story, in the first one, seemed to have been played out. I was happy to leave it as it ended. It's also 10 years old & it's fans have seen everything and have grown old. He always has been a little nuts. He plains on 3 other sequels, at a cost over a billion to make them. He'll have to be some type of movie god to get away with that. Good luck.

ALITA also ends with a set up leading to a sequel....which will never be made.----Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Sudden FEAR with Joan Reply with quote

I like movie stars & I like reading about them. One that I never understood or knew much about was Joan Crawford. I did see MOMMIE DEAREST years ago in the Army and that film made her look like the weirdest person in Hollywood. She grew up with nothing, became a bad dancer, who got noticed by a producer. She got into the studio system as sounds movies were starting at MGM. She had very little true talent, but worked her ass off taking acting, modeling, and dance lesions...and got her way into movies. She was also willing to do anything to become a star, which included having sex with everyone. She was aggressive to the max.

When MGM announced they were going to make an all-star film called GRAND HOTEL (1932) she stolid the scrip from the studio chiefs (Mayer) office. She rehearsed the part before the addition & got the part. She then stoled the movie from every major actor on the lot, and became a star.

When she figured out that in Hollywood you weren't considered accepted as a major person, until you went to party's at Pickfair the home of Douglas Fairbanks & Mary Pickford in Beverly Hills. She couldn't get an invited, so she married Douglas Fairbanks JR....and made herself a fixture at every party. She & Jr later got divorced because she was fucking Clark Gable.

She became one of Hollywood's top actresses and was considered a rival to Betty Davis as the best. I don't know if she was a great actress, she just seemed to be the hardest worker in the business, who knew what she could and couldn't do. She trained, studied, and scouted for good projects. Later as she grew older, she had a string of flops & got dropped by MGM. So she moved to Warner Brothers where she won an Oscar in MILDRED PIERCE. I think she was super as a "woman's" actress. But later, she got dropped by that studio.

I never really wanted to watch Joan Crawford movies. I think she is weird & reminds me of my ex-girl friend....who was crazy in bed & out of bed. But a week or so ago, Turner was showing SUDDEN FEAR (1952)….and I got mysef to watch. This was her comeback film made after she was let go by Warner Brothers. She financed it, casted it, and produced it. It was a well made film, and looks major in everyway. She got the best people to work on it, and you can see the skill.

The Director was David Miller, and the cinematographer was the great Charles Lang and co-stared Jack Palance, and Gloria Grahame.

This was Jack Palance at his peak. He was coming off his performance in SHANE, and was looking to prove he was a major actor. He was great at both the love scenes and the creepy bad guy stuff. He is as good as he ever was in this movie. He talked about the film a lot. He said Crawford was wonderful to work with, brought food for the crew, and was always nice to fans. He also claims he was fucking her. Which isn't hard to believe.

Gloria Grahame is another famous messed up star. Actually I think she is fascinating. She also had sex with a lot of people in Hollywood. She became famous after getting divorce after being caught having sex with her son-in-law. She toped that off by marrying the son-in-law. She is one of my favorite actresses. She always great. I think she is sexy as hell. But a mess in real life, but the other stars always want to work with her. Palance claimed that Grahame and Joan had a cat fight on the set....and the two had to be broken up by the crew. Crawford was doing a close up in one of her very serious dramatic scenes, and Gloria sitting a few feet in front of her...was sucking her thumb...I guess in a sexy way.

The movie SUDDEN FEAR is a film noir...broken up into three parts. The first is a believable love story between a actor (Palance) and a rich playwriter (Joan) & they get married. The second has the husband con- man, with his girlfriend con-man (Gloria), planning to murder the wife...and Crawford finds out about the plot and goes nuts. The third and last part has Joan baby planning to get revenge and kill Jack while putting the blame on Gloria. It's all done like a Hitchcock film.

In scene were Joan goes nuts after finding out her husband was going to kill her for her money, after being normal for all the love stuff, she really shows her stuff. It's just over the top type acting, with the camera moving with her. At first you think, it's too over the top, but then you realize that it is really working. The women of 1952 must have ate it up. It was the work of not just a actor...but of a great movie star.

Joan being Joan, gets herself together & creates the plan to double cross Jack and the evil girlfriend. BUT in the middle of it, the always pure Joan Crawford, realized she wasn't a killer, and stops in the middle of it. It ends with poor Joan running thru the cold dark streets of San Francisco followed by the monster Jack Palance looking to kill her. Of cource, she is too fast and smart for Jack....but Gloria drive up in a car, and the two again come after poor Joan. Then another car crashes into Jack and Gloria, and they die in the flames. The great Joan walks off safe.... and with all her money intact. The End.

I think the movie is a very well made ***3/4, but I would bet their are women who think it's a classic. Anyway the movie bombed when it came out. Leaving Joan Crawford for another comeback victory in WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE.---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like sounding like a racist. I'm no more racist that anyone & less than most. But the black attack on the Oscars is fucking stupid. There are some blacks, including, Spike Lee, who are saying GREEN BOOK is the worst movie to ever win the Oscars & that it was terrible because it was made by white men.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/oscars/why-the-green-book-oscar-victory-has-divided-hollywood/ar-BBU3X8X?ocid=spartandhp

Well BLACK PANTHER was made by Marvel & they are white. As a movie it's CG crap. It's a fantasy film for Blacks, and see nothing in it. The Avenger film was better made & had drama to it that BP didn't have. Spike's KKK movie I didn't see because it didn't play near me and disappeared real fast. No one thought it was going to get the Oscar.

The Oscar show was one of the worst....and it was a total black show. Every black actor or celebrity was on the show. (where was Densel ?) If a movie isn't about black issues (mainly the results of slavery & civil rights), women's rights to work, or gay stuff...it doesn't get nominated. It is no longer a rare thing for black project, or person, to get an Oscar. They have won a ton of them for years now. It is not now a major event in civil right to win a Oscar. Happens every year.

They are now so spoiled that they have to win all of them??? Spike Lee is so fucking stupid that he is a NY Nicks fan....and he sit court side trying to be part of the show. If he hates losing so much...why the Nicks? Fuck him.

The problem with the Oscars is they try to please everyone....and the blacks are the loudest. It is a liberal organization & has been since the studio system died. The backs are winning awards, so shut the fuck up. I don't like posting about this, but it's the blacks who have turned the Oscars into a racist event.

I thought ROMA was the best picture, but I get the point that a Netflicks film is considered a TV movie....and why theater owners would cost it some votes. It did get three major Oscars. GREEN BOOK was a very good movie & had a happy ending. I'm happy it won....I was afraid that BLACK PANTHER was going to get it.

The Oscar show had it's moments, but it was one of the worst in a year that was one of the worst for film.

On last Friday, I made plans to go see Spike Lee's KKK movie in Long Beach on Saturday...but by Saturday it was gone.---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Long Beach tonight to see CAPTAIN MARVEL. Can't say I hated it....I just didn't care. Nothing in it I haven't seen a million times in CG films. It was like a bad comic book. **3/4. I would rank it with the first Thor movie, but that was new and had surprises. With Captain Marvel they create a female Superman, that is boring as hell. There hasn't been anything in theaters all year, so it will make some money. But it was about 70% full on it's first night. A much smaller film than The Avengers & without the star power. CG shit that goes BOOM. If Marvel is basing their future on this, good luck.---Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked it.

Not a high end MCU movie. Nor is it amazing one like GotG / Ant-Man / Dr. Strange that on paper had no business being good but really nailed their beats. Doesn't come across as an equiv of Black Panther for women, as BP was dealing with a load of stuff on various levels while CM doesn't go there.

But it's a solid, well made origin story, both for CM and also for the MCU in general very late in the game leading into Avengers 4. Cleary it's a big movie, but I liked that much of it played smaller give Avengers 3 and Avengers 4 are the biggest movies of the series.

I like that we get to see a younger, more engaged Fury before he ran Shield. It's largely a buddy movie between the two, which does mean the rest of the origin characters are put into smaller parts. They all do get their moments. The nods to Coulson are very nice, as is Clark Gregg slipping into a more green Coulson playing off Fury. The early pushing aside of Rambeau make for nice payoff when she pops up late, is given moment both with Carol and as a hero in her own right. Monica is introduced well, and is there's a CM2, we will certainly see an older Monica.

Quite a few good action scenes, though the early railway chase is the best. Only really problematic one is when she kicks the living shit out of Ronan's nukes and fighters - it is a bit over the top in how ass kicking she is. Has nothing to do with being a female, as I don't really need to see a scene where Superman pulls off that off. It means that's you'll have to go over the top in being able to create any peril for her in future movies. That will work okay in Avengers 4 as we've already put over Thanos being the Biggest and the Baddest. I'm thinking more in terms of CM2 where they are going to have to bust their ass to try to figure out crafting a movie when we just saw her display powers that would end a normal movie in about 10 minutes of her kicking everyone's ass. It's going to be tricky... and I really hate if they go Kryptonite-style of pulling something out of their ass to take away her powers.

I liked what they did with the Skrull and the Kree. Law going heel was obvious, but the fashion of the Skrull getting the face turn was nice.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's drawing power is the fact that Capt. Marvel looks like every teenager girl at my grand-daughter's high school.---Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

I just watched the 22 year old Larson play (very well) a high school senior in The Spectacular Now, which was shoot almost 7 years ago. I found her decidedly older in Marvel, in the sense that I didn't think she could pull off *college* anymore, let alone high school.

I need to track down Short Term 12, which I'm surprised I've not seen yet. Larson as the lead, and with Kaitlyn Dever in support who I've always thought highly of since Justified (and just saw her the Laggies the same night I saw The Spectacular Now).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 72 of 73

Jump to: