The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2018-2019 L.A. Lakers Thread (Livin' On A Prayer)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
corrado

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They traded Zubac and Michael Beasley to the Clips. I guess they're confident in acquiring one of the top big men for either this year or beyond.

Also, Woj is saying that the Melo/Lakers rumors are back on since they have a open roster spot, at the moment.
corrado

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So no Anthony Davis.

Most of the young roster , that were on pins and needles, is intact. with the exception of Zubac, who they could've used.

Lavar Ball is cutting promos on everyone.

Melo might be signing with them.

This is going to be a long few months for them.
JAG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helluva night, tho. Hard to put into words how sweet that was.

1 game behind the Clips, 2 behind Spurs for 7th.

Power play didn’t work for AD.

We’ll see what the summer brings, but Boston getting smacked in the 2’d round and Kyrie saying peace makes them front runners again.

The kids have to get better.

Jagdip
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best game in years.--Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get the Zubac move. I get that he is a RFA and they don't want to get stuck overpaying to retain him. They also likely want to get rid of Beasley, though they could just cut him.

You would think that if they wanted to move Zubac that they should at least get a 2nd round pick for him. Or perhaps they could have sign & traded him in the off season. He's not going to carry a cap hold of note.

I do think he's been a bit overrated over time by Lakers Fans. But he's also in one of those stretches where he's showing a little something, and perhaps some team could be conned out of a pick.
JAG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cap hold would cut into having a full max to offer.

They showcased him. NOLA didn’t care enough to want him, so you move on.

They draft well enough to find another Zubac.

Jagdip
corrado

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bron's at the Duke game tonight. Maybe he's setting his sights on Zion too.
guren

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corrado wrote:
Bron's at the Duke game tonight. Maybe he's setting his sights on Zion too.

As seen on Twitter: "Zion Williamson's plan is to treat any draft destination as a short-term stop, unless it's the Lakers," sources tell KlutchSPN. He would plan to move to the Lakers as a free agent in 2023.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any really bad NBA teams we haven't lost to?
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

110-128 at Wizards

Both teams were healthy

99-107 vs Grizzzzz

Chandler & McGee were out, but everyone else was healthy.

Lost to the Knicks and Cavs while Lebron was out, but those are probably the worst two teams in the NBA... that was a really bad sign about our Kids.

Then of course the Tuesday game against Atlanta, who are pretty damn awful. Hart, Ball and Tyson were out.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any other coach would get fired. He was given the best player in the sport & there is no excuse. He better be able to depend on his friendship with the Buss family or he'll be gone after the al-star game. Maybe they figure it's over & doesn't matter. I think we need a change, they are dead in the water.

James is not the same player. He still has a lot of skill....but he doesn't jump as well, and he has slowed down. He lays back in first two Qts & then plays catch up. You can't be the best player in the league shooting 68% on FT....and missing them in the clutch. He is a dick in the locker room. Tried to get everyone on the team traded. There doesn't seem like much connection with the fans or press. To long term Laker fans, he hasn't proven himself. Wish we had traded him for Davis.

Zubac is starting with the Clips & looking good. The color-man last night said that it was an easy trade for him and didn't even had to move out of his house. And then he said... and "he's also on a better team". Fuck winning titles, fuck beating Golden State,....beat the fucking Clippers first...then think of other thing...but you can't even do that.

What bugs me about the Lakers isn't that they can't judge players on other teams or in the draft....they can't judge the talent on their own team. There have been a number of players that have been ok producers that they just let go. Randle would have kept this years team together. He was the Lakers heart & soul. He could score, bang with the best, trained like a mad man, rebound, defend both big men and small, ran, and handle the ball. He was a tough guy. Backed down from no one. They drafted him, and then refused to see his valve once he improved. It was right in front of their faces. They fucked that up, for green grass on the other side of the hill. --- Yohe
corrado

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides not keeping all-Star D'angelo Russell, and Randle, another "what if" move could be what if Paul George went to the Lakers? He is close behind James Harden in the MVP race and is having his best season to date.

Probably could've been a top 5 team in the west with PG, Randle and Russell with Most of the young supporting cast too.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
Any other coach would get fired. He was given the best player in the sport & there is no excuse. He better be able to depend on his friendship with the Buss family or he'll be gone after the al-star game. Maybe they figure it's over & doesn't matter. I think we need a change, they are dead in the water.

I don't think we can entirely blame the coach. We knew in the off season that this was a messed up roster. I mean... we all knew it was a fucked roster. Shooting? Nope, didn't have it. Spacing? Nope, didn't have it. Defense? Nope, didn't have it.

The only optimistic take were general ones that (i) Lebron Would Make It All Work and (ii) Trust Magic & Rob To Make Trades That Would Make It All Work.

Quote:
James is not the same player. He still has a lot of skill....but he doesn't jump as well, and he has slowed down. He lays back in first two Qts & then plays catch up. You can't be the best player in the league shooting 68% on FT....and missing them in the clutch. He is a dick in the locker room. Tried to get everyone on the team traded. There doesn't seem like much connection with the fans or press.

Lebron is pretty much exactly what I expected, including being out for some time. He's still a great player. But he's in decline, has to pick his spots, and needs a complimentary roster around him. This wasn't it.

Quote:
Zubac is starting with the Clips & looking good. The color-man last night said that it was an easy trade for him and didn't even had to move out of his house. And then he said... and "he's also on a better team". Fuck winning titles, fuck beating Golden State,....beat the fucking Clippers first...then think of other thing...but you can't even do that.

The funny thing is that the Clippers are trying to tank to keep their pick.

Quote:
What bugs me about the Lakers isn't that they can't judge players on other teams or in the draft....they can't judge the talent on their own team. There have been a number of players that have been ok producers that they just let go. Randle would have kept this years team together. He was the Lakers heart & soul. He could score, bang with the best, trained like a mad man, rebound, defend both big men and small, ran, and handle the ball. He was a tough guy. Backed down from no one. They drafted him, and then refused to see his valve once he improved. It was right in front of their faces.

I disagree on Randle. He's such a valuable player that he's staring on a team WORSE than the Lakers even though they have Davis and Jrue Holiday.

So where do you play him? Would you rather have Randle on a 4 year, $15M+ per year deal at PF... or the cheaper Kuzma?

I think even New Orleans would rather hanve Kuz.
corrado

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of the Pelicans, they fired their GM today, after some more Anthony Davis hijinks:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26004117/new-orleans-pelicans-part-ways-dell-demps-sources-say

If David Griffin gets the job, he was close to Bron in Cleveland. That would make the Lakers the clear favorites for Davis.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in suckering the Lakers, the guy pissed off his star, and got himself fired.

I think the Lakers went way over the top in that trade. What would have been the team if they had made the deal? It's nuts. If Davis wants the Lakers, it's better to play out the season, and make the deal in the off season. And then fill in the holes.

Walton is going to finish the season mainly because he is seen as part of the Laker family. Walton hasn't done anything in his career, he can take credit for, and as Laker coach has shown nothing. Is he to blame, well maybe not, but he'll take the blame......if James doesn't have his back. He can do TV with the rest of the gang.

I think one of their problems was being stuck on Ingram. They thought he was going to be major, and he isn't, and he can't play with James. They stared the year with only one center.....they could have put Randle there...they could have made it work.

Ball is still out with an ankle. What's his FT % … 45% or something. You can't have a guard that can't shoot FT. I'd put up with everything else, but not that. I'd lock him in the gym & just have him shoot FT for three hours a day....& do nothing else. Next year, he doesn't play if he is under 75%. He is of no use if he can't get it together. He is a bench player who sits in the 4th QT.

If they do make the playoffs, which doesn't seem possible, getting pass two rounds will kill James. He got to game one of the final last year....can't believe he can do anything like that again. If it is going to happen it has to start right after the break. His body will need to take a beating to do it. Lets see how great he is.---Steve Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 21 of 27

Jump to: