The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yohe's Movie Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, on it's popularity, I would factor in:

* it's MCU
* it's the first MCU woman lead movie
* wasn't a November MCU so it's been a long wait
* lead in to Avengers 4

I think all of those meant it was going to be a bigger MCU solo debut than most anything other than Panther. There was a decent amount of anticipation for this.

Beyond that, some of the things we've talked about in the box office thread this year:

* a HORRIBLE year at the box office so far
* not just horrible collectively, but not a single Good Sized Hit
* not just that, but an airball so far for Action Movies

So you have a movie that people are generally looking forward to coming out at a time when there hasn't been anything since December that people wanted to go out and see.

A perfect storm for this to open strong.

Still, it does highlight how much of an insane monster that Black Panther was. CM is a really big opening. Bigger than GotG 2, Thor 2 and Spidey... much bigger than all of those other than GotG 2.

Panther did $50M *more* Fri-Sun, and that was with a holiday on Monday (where it did another $40M) so people really didn't have to rush out to see it on Sat & Sun if they skipped opening night. Yet they did come out in monster numbers.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the first issue of Capt Marvel. I used to buy #1s in case I could make money selling them. Trouble is, I remember it being a man. I knew the artist, Jim Starling or something. I bagged it & never read it. I think it may have been in one of the boxes I gave away. I wasn't interested in super hero comics. Probably a mistake.---Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw a movie yesterday, because there are no interesting movies playing & it's a western. It's got no PR what-so-ever, and I never heard anything about it. It's a Billy the Kid movie, called THE KID....but the kid isn't Billy the Kid, it just some kid who shoots his father & need an outlaw to kill his uncle before he rapes his sister. YA. It's about 1/3 of a bio of Billy & the rest is Pat Garrett & the not interesting kid. It just shows the highlights of Billy the Kids life. They cram everything together. Kind of like watching an old Rikidozan tape. I had hi hope for Dane De Haan as Billy but he yells his lines & is terrible. Trys too hard. Ethan Hawke stinks as Pat Garrett. And my good buddy Chris Pratt sucks again as the evil uncle using the fakest beard in Hollywood. Any actor on TV could have played the part better. ** Don't bother, even if you like westerns. There is a reason why you've never heard anything about this movie.

Oh...I need to mention that I liked the cat in CAPT. MARVEL.---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the movie OUTLAW KING, but it's only on Netflicks. Looking around I found a article on how authentic it is. They say that Robert The Bruce didn't look like the guy in the movie & show a real head, but you going to cast a stuntman, or go with Chris Pine & get the movie made, make some money, & have a real actor playing the part. Reading this, the movie holds up pretty well:

www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/outlaw-king/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73
Page 73 of 73

Jump to: