The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yohe's Movie Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 72, 73, 74  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, on it's popularity, I would factor in:

* it's MCU
* it's the first MCU woman lead movie
* wasn't a November MCU so it's been a long wait
* lead in to Avengers 4

I think all of those meant it was going to be a bigger MCU solo debut than most anything other than Panther. There was a decent amount of anticipation for this.

Beyond that, some of the things we've talked about in the box office thread this year:

* a HORRIBLE year at the box office so far
* not just horrible collectively, but not a single Good Sized Hit
* not just that, but an airball so far for Action Movies

So you have a movie that people are generally looking forward to coming out at a time when there hasn't been anything since December that people wanted to go out and see.

A perfect storm for this to open strong.

Still, it does highlight how much of an insane monster that Black Panther was. CM is a really big opening. Bigger than GotG 2, Thor 2 and Spidey... much bigger than all of those other than GotG 2.

Panther did $50M *more* Fri-Sun, and that was with a holiday on Monday (where it did another $40M) so people really didn't have to rush out to see it on Sat & Sun if they skipped opening night. Yet they did come out in monster numbers.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the first issue of Capt Marvel. I used to buy #1s in case I could make money selling them. Trouble is, I remember it being a man. I knew the artist, Jim Starling or something. I bagged it & never read it. I think it may have been in one of the boxes I gave away. I wasn't interested in super hero comics. Probably a mistake.---Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw a movie yesterday, because there are no interesting movies playing & it's a western. It's got no PR what-so-ever, and I never heard anything about it. It's a Billy the Kid movie, called THE KID....but the kid isn't Billy the Kid, it just some kid who shoots his father & need an outlaw to kill his uncle before he rapes his sister. YA. It's about 1/3 of a bio of Billy & the rest is Pat Garrett & the not interesting kid. It just shows the highlights of Billy the Kids life. They cram everything together. Kind of like watching an old Rikidozan tape. I had hi hope for Dane De Haan as Billy but he yells his lines & is terrible. Trys too hard. Ethan Hawke stinks as Pat Garrett. And my good buddy Chris Pratt sucks again as the evil uncle using the fakest beard in Hollywood. Any actor on TV could have played the part better. ** Don't bother, even if you like westerns. There is a reason why you've never heard anything about this movie.

Oh...I need to mention that I liked the cat in CAPT. MARVEL.---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the movie OUTLAW KING, but it's only on Netflicks. Looking around I found a article on how authentic it is. They say that Robert The Bruce didn't look like the guy in the movie & show a real head, but you going to cast a stuntman, or go with Chris Pine & get the movie made, make some money, & have a real actor playing the part. Reading this, the movie holds up pretty well:

www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/outlaw-king/
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to watching Into the Spider-Verse on bluray. Really wish I walked across the street to watch it. Fantastic movie on every level. Another one of these made by people who LOVE comics and the characters and the stories, as it drips through in pretty much every scene. It's a movie that really has soul to it in addition to wonderful action and drama, along with great art in creating another world.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't it win the animation Oscar?--Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I did not go to see Matthew McConaughy new movie the BEACH BUM! I thought about it because there are no movies out worth seeing. But I couldn't do it. Can you believe that people are saying it's goofy, terrible & a bomb...all at the same time. Old Matthew's career is really strange. WHAT"S NEXT!!!!---Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE HIGHWAYMEN is showing on Netflicks. Think Classic movie. It's Bonnie & Clyde told through the eyes of the old Texas Rangers who hunted them down. It's realistic & a major film in every way. Bonnie & Clyde are portrayed as mass-murders, and with all their guns they seem as scary as the shark in JAWS. Filmed like a great western, with superhuman acting from everyone. Kevin Costner & Woody Harrelson are great in the parts that was once meant for Newman & Redford. Costner is super as Frank Hamer, a lawman who was treated as a joke in Warren Beatty's movie, but should have been as famous as Wyatt Earp. Costner plays the part as a red neck looking killer, while Harrelson is his sidekick back up, who can't stop thinking about all the people they have killed. But Hamer is all about the law, and he was know for protecting Mexicans & blacks in fucked up Texas. Costner is great playing him. **** & maybe better as it ages in smarter times. It doesn't shy away from the myth of Clyde & Bonnie, and it examines a culture that idolizes the worse in us. Classic movie.

P. S. The final shootout was film on the spot it actually happened. ---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DUMBO is pretty bad. The cartoon was my favorite as a kid, this CG film is a mess. Doesn't seem like a Burton movie. **3/4 The lighting was terrible. Doesn't work on any level.---Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see if I can remember back to Thursday night through an insane number of hours of work between then and now...

Shazam!

I liked it.

Nice contrast to the DC-Snyder Murderverse. The DCU movies that have worked are the ones that have heart, have some base in family, and have their heroes wanting to do good by people, even if it took Billy a while to get there in Shazam. Wonder Woman took itself seriously, which was partially due to still being under the DC-Snyder universe... but partially due to having to take the first major woman super hero of the modern movie super hero era seriously to get her over. Aquaman and Shazam were pretty playful having fun with their super heroes, finding a balance between poking at them in non-snarky ways while also playing their powers and impact seriously. Tightrope to walk, and both did well in hitting the right notes. This played like an old school 70s/80s super hero movie even more than Aquaman did, and was better for it. We're coming to dead serious Avengers 4 later in the month, so this felt like a nice breath of light fresh air.

Billy and Freddy were good, and Freddy and Shazam played off each other well. Decent enough heel. Really nice spot of Billy sharing the Shazam power payoff with his "brothers" and "sisters" - got a big round of applause from the crowd I saw it with.

Actually nice contrasty payoff of how different this was from the DC Murderverse:

Snyder-Super Man and Synder-Batman wouldn't have given a shit about destroying the entire carnival at the end, and a bunch of people dying. We saw the Shazam Kids not destroying the whole thing, and actually saving the Heel Brothers stuck up in the Ferris wheel who had been tormenting them the entire movie. That's old school corny super hero stuff where the heroes will even save the bully kids.

Not everything has to be so freaking dark.

I don't want to see 20 super hero movies like this. But I also don't want to see 20 movies like Iron Man 3 where Tony is dealing with all sorts of post-New York demons that are screwing with our heroes' head. I like IM3 more than move because it actually cared enough to try to show Tony messed up by the trauma... but not every movie needs to go there.

In turn, no movie needs to do where Snyder's horrible movies went.

Shazam goes light while telling a fairly simple story, hitting its marks and being a good ride. Pretty much like Aquaman. The AntMan movies do the same, though are likely better movies from a professional movie making standpoint. Shazam and Aquaman standout in the DCU because so much crap came before them.

What DC needs to do is find a balance with movies like this, probably looking to make these smallers ones *cheaper* than going balls to the walls on expenses. They have a current tent pole in Wonder Woman *if* the second one hits the marks like the first. The just need to set aside Batman and Superman until someone with love for them comes along similar to the type of love for the material was shown by the maker of Black Panther and the last Spiderman move. Just knock off good smaller movies to rebuild the brand, don't worry about "universe" stuff, and wait for it on the Big 2 even if it takes a decade for the right writers and directors to come along. There were 8 years between the death of the 80s/90s Batman series and the birth of the Nolan Batman. It's okay to wait.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first two HELLBOY movie are two of my favorites. They lead me to the the comic books, which I consider high art, with the best artists working on it. I have all of them in hard covers. You would think HELLBOY (2019) would be targeted at me. I've been waiting on this film for months & rushed to see it the first night. It stinks! It's mindless violence and filled with over the top gore. David Hardour had no idea how to play Hellboy. His version is more like a biker teenage than the masterpiece version done by Ron Perlman.

I knew the film was troubled when Harbour played the part with a goatee. Hellboy is a demon who wants to be a common human. He shaves his horns hoping to resemble a person & hide his demon origin. This Hellboy wears a beard to make him look like satan. There is no feeling in this movie between Hellboy and Prof Broom. The relationship doesn't work. Ian McShane should stick to Al Swearenger.

Also who in the world would replace Guillermo del Toro with TV director Neil Marshall.

The film does use bits of the story line from three of the major comics, but the feel, timing, humor, and pacing isn't there. If you don't read the comic, I don't think you can understand much of it. It's a story that evolve over 50 issues. They cram it all together

Liz Sherman & Abe Saplen isn't in the movie.... well Abe does show up after the credits. Major Ben Daimo, who is a dick in the comic, is in it. They should used the white guy in it, instead of Daniel Dae Kim....who sounds like he was dumped. Alice Monaghan in the comic is a Irish red hair chick.. is played by a black girl. Lobster Johnson shows up twice, for no real reason. Milla Jovovich is the same weird character she always plays.

I hated this movie. If your a Hellboy fan, you'll have to see it. It you love Gore, dismembering, and beheading....you'll like it. If your not, stay away. **1/8. If I couldn't like this movie, I don't think many people will.

Some truth in it from the comic....Hellboy does become King of England....and he does wrestle as a luchador in Mexico for a year. He even wrestles Frankensteinů& a vampire. Like Santo did in a movie. Hellboy does die, and he goes to hell.--Steve Yohe
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw several superhero movies, so let me toss my thoughts onto the pile.

AQUAMAN: I thought it was good but not great. The good stuff is the journey of Arthur Curry and how he learns to embrace his destiny and all the scenes with Mera. Black Manta did enough to not get lost in the shuffle, but I found there was something missing with the development of Orm's character. I didn't like it as much as Wonder Woman but it was a solid effort.

CAPTAIN MARVEL: Another film that was good but not great. What I really liked was the chemistry between Brie Larson and Samuel Jackson -- you get the sense that Carol Danvers and Nick Fury have this immediate connection and they play off each other well. I agree with John's observation that ending things with Danvers just wiping everyone out was a bit overdone, but I guess they needed to show why she's a threat to Thanos.

SHAZAM: This might have been the best of the three films -- again, though, it's not a great film, but I think it does a better job of hitting the notes it wants to about what family really is. They have a good contrast between Billy Batson and Sivana. Also, the approach that Batson is just smitten with the idea of superpowers makes a lot of sense. There are a few spots in which think they may have rushed through one point to get to the next one, but it was a good effort, better than I may have expected.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1959 BEN HUR is playing tonight (4-17-19) at 6:00 in a lot of places all over the country. If you have never seen it in a theater. You should go.--Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like making predictions & over the last weeks I've been thinking. Yes it's hard for me.

In AVENGERS ENDGAME is everyone in the cast going realize that the world is a better place for everyone with half the population going AOL....and then tell Thanos that they misjudge him...and he really is a Ok guy after all.

Downey was crying after a premier in the last few days. It always seemed that he was the actor who didn't want to leave the Marvel world, It's been his whole career, but in all the recent movies his role is getting smaller & he's getting the heel side of things in the stories. Do you think there going to kill off Iron Man or better yet, Tony Stark? That way they don't need to keep Gwyneth Paltrow around any more. I think Pepper likes Happy Hogan better anyway. This way Captain America can live.

I'm not believing the story that Ant-Man craws up Thanos' ass stories & turns big to blow Thanos away. Who knows if he does have a asshole? Doesn't work for me. I'll want my money back. But it might look good in 3D.

GAME OF THRONES I've been thinking about for years. After the first two episodes, it seems they have just trying to develop the characters & get them all back together again after all the years. The 2nd week seemed like a love fest with everyone having sex before getting killed next week. On the next show the favoites will start dying.

I don't think they have to worry. Who the fuck do these nightwalker think they are? They are dead guys. There best days are overs...they are as washed up as Lebron James. They are not an army...they are fuck up Zombies. Have you seen them try to march? They are the jobbers on this show. John Snow & Danny have two armys, a horde of Dothraki on horses, two Dragons, a river of fire, a three eye raven, shoes, Brienne of Tarth, The Hound, Jaime, Arya Stark, Tormund Giantsbane, Gray Worm & a butch of guy you can't kick in the groin, Davos Seaworth, Jorah Mormont, and the star of the show Jon Snow...rightful king of the whole dam world. The nightwalkers have got no chance & does their king offer a heath plan in the first place. They are going to be chopped up in chunks with the black crows flying around popping on their remains. The Whitewalkers haven't won anything in over a 1,000 years. Samwell Tarly kicked one of their bosses ass. All they got is the fact there already dead & one ice dragon. They should be on KP...not fighting. I was in the Army, they look more like cooks.

My theory, develop a few weeks ago, is the battle with the dead is too hard to film lasting over a long period of time. They need a shortcut to end this in six weeks allowed. So they are going to use Bran the three eye Raven to draw the Night King away from his fucked up army of dead guy, and have someone kill him. Then all the dead guys fall apart forever. Who kills the Night King in the garden with the big tree....who knows. Maybe my personal hero...Theon Greyjoy...or the tree falls on him. From last weeks show, this is possible but I know nothing.

I'm sorry to say this....but the one character on the show that never worked for me is Arya Stark. I know she acts her ass off, but she is a midget. I think they casted her thinking she would grow up in time & fit the role. She is not believable as a great warrior...or whatever she is now. And she was the only woman on the show to not do a nude sex scene. I was happy with that storyline. Then we got last week & her fooling around with black smith. ECCK! Sorry, I know she is going to die next week. NO I DON'T KNOW THAT! It's a joke.

Yeah big surprise is Jon Snow's white wolf had a part in the last show? How come thru eight years of show....Jon Snow has never petted his dog? Jon, your so unemotional...be nice to your dam dog. Just pat him on the head or give him a bone. He hasn't been on the snow in a year.

Why is Lord Varys not dead. He hasn't talked sense Estros! Have they forgotten him or what. Tyrion talks to everyone but him. If it was me, my feelings would hurt. I'm not going to cut my hair, but I could have played Varys the last year.

I'm hoping for the big Hound vs Mountain fight. But then they're realize they are brothers who really love each other & walk away holding hands.

What happened to the Red Prestress Melisandre? Man I used to think she was hot. Then it turned out she was two hundred years old. Turned all us hot guys off. I don't want to have sex with anyone older than me.

The best scene in the history of the show, was when Stannis Baratheon's daughter Shireen telling her father that she loved him and would do anything for him after....having being locked in a tower for years. Then before our eyes could dry, Stannis sacrifices her to the Lord Of Light by burning her at the stake. I thought Stannis was the most tragic character on the show, and I felt so bad when Brienne of Tarth killed him. I guess Brienne and Jaime get along so well and have so much in common is they both killed kings.

I think Cersei's new baby is a dwarf.

The ice dragon will probably kill one of the other dragons, before getting wacked. The last dragon will get it in episode 6. Then the last scene in the show is someone going into the dragons bedroom, to find three dragon eggs.--Steve Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 73 of 74

Jump to: