The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vice: Dark Side of the Ring *SPOILERS*
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mysterious Death of Gorgeous Gino Hernandez was a better job of filling time and getting ot the heart of the matter, but still kinda fell flat. And even thought they did a better job with the information I thought they needed to go more into his childhood.

YouTube does have a small clip of Gino's mother explaining who his father was...and no, it's not Paul Boesch. You'll have to check it out for yourself.

I remember Gino and Chris Adams being exceptional when I watching them as a kid. I thought Gino had died at an earlier age than 29 years old and started to think that because he was still working World Class at 29 that he may not have been as good as I thought he was. However, I forget that back then...in particular with Vince...the top stars were usually in their mid-30's in WWF or NWA-Crockett.

Also, Gary Hart wrote in his book that he tried to get Gino to go to Crockett or even Vince, but Gino didn't want to as he liked being a big fish in a small pond and his drug habit was pretty out of control.

Cornette didn't see all that impressed with Gino and Adams because he said they would put them hands down on the mat to protect themselves when they bumped. But, Cornette has acknowledged that the World Class rings were some of the hardest rings the MX had ever worked on.

Cornette blamed booker Ken Mantell for not getting the MX to work with the Von Erich's, but it's also a testiment to just how good Adams and Gino were as a tag team. I remember years later, my best friend Rob and I were such big marks for Chris' work from World Class that we would call each other up and tape anytime Chris showed up on TV (at the time, we didn't know the various legal issues and how big of a scumbag Chris was).

I never bought into the mystery behind Gino's death. He was a bad coke addict. There was talk about how much coke he consumed, but it wasn't like Kurt Cobain's heroin death where the investigators claimed that Cobain shot himself up with 5 times the lethal dose, finished his suicide letter, closed the heroin kit and used a shotgun to blow his head off (that's another rant for another time).

Gino was dead on the floor. Marks like David Manning talked about his door not having the deadbolt locked....but that could have been a mistake by the police or just the fact that a cokehead in a coke binge may forget to lock their door. The same with the paranoia which would have made me thought even more that he died of a coke overdose.

The only puzzle was the coroner's report stating that Gino was uncircumsized when he wasn't. But sometimes the coroner makes a dumb mistake.

Anyway, not sure what the mystery was but I'm glad it got resolved for his mother's sake. That's probably the brightest spot of the entire episode.

YR
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Von Erich remarked on WWE's World Class DVD that Hernandez supposedly had cocaine in his stomach.

If that is true, it could point to Hernandez committing suicide by ingesting cocaine, while leaving the deadbolt unlocked to make people think it was foul play.

It wouldn't be the first time somebody killed themselves but tried to leave evidence to suggest a homicide rather than a suicide.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fabulous Moolah episode....I thought was pretty decent. Not great, but compelling. And I'm not sure why.

Perhaps it was that in previous episodes too much of the wrestlers working the documentary makers or too much hyperbole. Maybe it was the episode felt like they were glossing over important parts too much. Either way, I enjoyed the episode more than many of the others.

I had always heard that Moolah ran a really shitty deal with the girls and then all of the talk about prostitution and drugs went on. In essence, it's the wrestling business and where unethical stuff can happen it can turn into wild and horribly untrue rumors. Combine that with today's social media and it turns into a dumpster fire.

That's probably why Vince tried to memorialize her with a Battle Royal...in admiration of how she screwed over the wrestlers with shitty deals.

I tend to believe Bambi when she says that Moolah told her to act nice to the Dutch promoter and that was basically code word for advising Bambi to sleep with the promoter.

The thing that always puzzled me was the Wendi Richter doublecross. They go into here. Richter still claims she didn't know it was Moolah. I tend to not believe it, particularly as she went after Moolah's mask. My thinking is she was probably told she was going to be attacked by Spider Lady and then it was going to be revealed to be Moolah and she didn't know she was going to get doublecrossed.

But, this should go down as one of the biggest blunders of Vince's career. Richter was over H-U-G-E. Over bigger than any of the females today not named Rousey (and I think you could argue in terms of pro wrestling, she was over more than Rousey). Unless Richter's negotiations for more money were just flat out unfeasible, Vince really cut his nose off to spite his face on this one.

My guess is that they'll try to do another series as Dark Side of the Ring has done the highest ratings in the history of Vice TV. Unlike more established channels, Vice could always use the viewership so they don't have to worry about the discounted ad money that usually comes with pro wrestling type programs.

I'd like to see them extend the episodes to 90 minutes.

My picks for episodes would be:

Benoit double murder-suicide
Rikidozan murder
Buck Zumhofe
Herb Abrams
Abdullah the Butcher/Devon Nicholson case
The Graham family suicides

YR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Wrestling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: