The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yohe's Movie Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched BLACKkKLANSMAN last night on HBO. Yeah great movie & I should have seen it a lot earlier. The trailer made it seem like a comedy, but it a pretty straight drama, that seems real. ****1/4 Has elements of being a cop movie. Major film of 2019. I can understand why Spike Lee was upset it didn't get best picture, it's a film to be proud of. John David Washington (hey Denzel's son), Adam Driver, Laura Harrier, & Jasper Paakkonen were all great. Driver is a very powerful presence on screen & his name will get me to go to his movies.---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to read this until after seeing the movie.

AVENGERS ENDGAME is Ok, and probably the fanboys will love it. But I didn't think much of it or it's choices. The first 20:00 is depressing & then it turns in to a comedy. It has few touching moments that people will love. But they abuse a number of the major superheros, just for the laughs. The major one is Thor, who has become a fat drunk, after being a god for 1,000 years. They also abuse Hulk too & Captain America's butt. I've been interested for a year about how they would resolve the ending of the last movie. Instead of something creative, they settle for the some solution used in a million comics. Something a hack would do. Everyone in the movie refused to wear their masks. Every character ever in a Marvel movie returns. The story caters to black & woman audiences. Don't mind because it's in every movie, but it's too obvious. The film is a send off for most of the major characters. Sone as these big shot actor realize they careers are in trouble...they'll figure out a way to bring them back. I can't think of any big hits any of them have had outside of Marvel, since they signed up. Killing off the major heros is a mistake. I guess we are getting rebooted. Captain Marvel doesn't work. She just shows up when they run out of ideas. Ok, they have never realized that Captain America has no superpowers. Only a hack would have him running around with Thor's hammer. Brakes rule # 1. When the big fight scene comes, it's a mess. Has pacing problems & every person in Marvel history has to get his shit in. Still it's good enough for Marvel fans. They make some creative choice, but to someone who is a traditionist, there wrong choices. Anyway I expect most people to love it. I don't, but it's Ok. ***1/4.

The fun part of the night was the sold out crowd waiting thru the credits for a clip & clue to the next movie, something none of them normally do, only to have the screen just turn black. Everyone was laughing about it.---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before someone does a fact check: Downey hasn't attempted an outside movie since two good but bombed films (Judge & Chef) in 2014. He does have his Sherlock Holmes movies & it seems they are trying to keep him going by making another. I think there is another TV Holmes that people are most interested in & it's a hard movie to make well. He is a true movie star, but he is old & was always able to fall back on Iron Man. Before Marvel he was a leading man supporting actor, who did make some good films, but Iron Man got people thinking he was a star & not a druggy messed up person & a joke on evening news. His Tony Stark did start the Marvel movement. They owe each other a lot. I think he he'll return for good money if asked. Seems like the studio will rather turn to a reboot. The boss, like wrestling promoters, feel they can always find another actor.

Hemsworth looks like a major star to everyone. He has made a number of films, but none has made big money. I keep waiting for him to break loose, but nothing yet. He is doing a new version of a female MEN IN BLACK with a woman Smith and he is going to be Tommy Lee Jones. I don't know if the public will accept that movie & the GT monsters may not be as fun. I think he has a lot riding on that. He needs a big hit. I think he is seen for being bigger than he is, but some drawing moving could put him at the top level. Hasn't worked so far....outside of Marvel. I think Thor is the hardest part to play & replace, and he is good at it. But Thor always drew at one level, & never went bigger with out the other heros. It's also a character that is hard to write for, and they are probably out of ideas.

To me Evans is a major star....but he isn't. Outside of Marvel, he seems to like doing small B art movies. I think he could be a new Steve McQueen type leading man. But it hasn't happened. I don't know if he wants to be an action star type, & I don't think he fits any other why. Maybe Hollywood isn't making the type movie he needs to be a top star. There is a ton of other white leading men....and no one wants white leading men in 2019. He may not have that McQueen rebel feel about him. If he is white bread, who doesn't have an outsider feel about him, he'll just be hanging around in smaller movies or end up being a star on TV. And he is getting older. Anything outside of Marvel (The Losers & even the Torch stuff) has not done well. Maybe he is a really great actor, without the reputation. I think he could do westerns...but who cares but me. I don't know...Marvel made him....and he is starting over. I would have stayed with Captain America, until I had proven something. I know it did well, but putting him in a group of powerful superhero, force them to write him being bigger than human and Superman type guy with powers, instead of Marvel's Batman. I liked the first Captain America movie & I would have liked to see him fighting his own bad guys, without Hulk & Thor. I see doing more with that....a human hero....that had a life....fighting bad guys. There was more for a human to over come & do. Now Evans has career problems. I could see him going back to save the black guy who they plan to replace him with.

Johansson is a minor star on her own. She has no problem getting parts. I think people like her...and she'll do anything. She is a survivor. Marvel is making another movie for her. She could try into a female James Bond for them. If thy could pull that off, it would be great for everyone. Be realistic & use drama to move it around. Anti-Russia stuff is going to be popular in the post-Trumo era. It's country being run by crime bosses. Be bold & go for it.

Ruffalo is and has been a serious actor. He'll be making films until he dies. He isn't reaching for top level stardom. He wasn't a Marvel creation & he'll continue.

Renner career has been in a slump. As a major action star, he isn't a top level guy. BOURNE LEGACY didn't bomb, but it pissed people off & made him look small... career wise. Marvel helped him but it wasn't a major part or character. He was a human with a bow in a group of super guys fighting super guys. The weak link. I do think he was good in ENDGAME, and it may help him. It's his best Marvel shot so far. You would think he would have a part in the Johansson spy film. He should dump the bow & arrows, and just be a tough spy on the American spy. I think that would work good for everyone. The hope is that Marvel will see Johansson movie as a Bond type movie. Really I see a big opportunity there. Then again, Renner seems like a good actor, and he can always get lesser roles in real movies. ---Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking brilliant movie. I'll say more after folks have seen it to avoid spoilers... but just flat out brilliant.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed it. The non-spoiler review would be:

This is another one of those films that requires a second viewing to take everything in that went down.

It was the same thing with Infinity War, only that one required a second viewing to better appreciate the story and the intent behind it.

As far as the actors go, I know Steve has his opinions, but the way I look at it, it's this:

* Chris Evans: He's made it clear he wants to move on to behind-the-scenes work. If he's saved his money from his acting roles in MCU, he can take a chance and do something else. I know not every actor is like that, but Evans might be like, say, the Christian Cage of actors. Christian was never going to be a top draw in pro wrestling, but he saved his money so he could fall back on his savings in case he didn't reach the levels he expected.

Evans is done with MCU, Steve. Move along already.

* Robert Downey Jr.: He didn't have his shit together when he was younger and paid the price. He's fortunate to have found new life in the business thanks to the MCU and Sherlock Holmes. He'll likely want to explore other projects now. I imagine he'll be looking for a lighter schedule now that he's made some money again.

* Scarlett Johansson: She's already lined up for a Black Widow "prequel" film. She'll likely continue with action films as long as she's interested. I don't think she's ever going to be a top actress, but hey, if she's found her niche, run with it.

* Jeremy Renner: Some actors are just meant to be in supporting roles. That seems to be what Renner is.

* Mark Ruffalo: Agree with Steve.

* Chris Hemsworth: Seems like he's not done yet with MCU, at least for the time being.

With all that said, I don't think anybody looks to MCU for Academy Award nominees. There are those who have gotten such recognition prior to the MCU (Larson is the big one) but I think more of the ones who got their big break from it were simply looking for that break and will see what comes of it.

The exception would be Evans, who is content to move on to other things. Nothing wrong with that.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to bet that Evans never makes another Marvel movie? I've won bets like that before. Your comeback should be...Yohe will die before we'll know.--Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought GAME OF THRONES was great tonight (#3). Very hard to make everyone happy, but they pulled it off. Some bitch that the main characters didn't die, but they got three more shows & they had to have something to work with. I expect the rest will be character driven drama.--Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:57 am    Post subject: KEEPER OF THE FLAME & today Reply with quote

Sitting around today, waiting for a good movie to play in theaters, I watched a first class MGM movie from 1942 called KEEPER OF THE FLAME. It had a great direction (George Cuker), wonderful photography, is filled with fantastic character actors (Margaret Wycherly & Richard Whorf), and is a first class presige film. It also was a Spencer Tracy/Katharine Hepburn movie...but unlike all their comedy movies...this was a major political drama. The two have never been better.The Story has a famous military hero dying in a car accident. Tracy plays a famous reporter, just back from Nazi Germany, who goes to the funeral to interview the hot wife (Hepburn), who lives in a manson. It's kind of a mystery, but the ending turns up with Hepburn murdering the husban. This war hero is huge nation person, who is rich, and ran for & was almost president. Turns out that this hero had become a fascist with age....thinking he was better than the population. And had created an organization that is racist, anti-Jewish, pro KKK, and was trying to divide the nation by making the opposition fight each other like a good Nazi would. The end of the movie has Tracy writing the true story of the man & making a hero out of Kate.

This film was attacked by everyone. The censor at MGM were pissed, the government was upset, and the Republicans went crazy. At the start of WWII, with propaganda films everywhere...this one made the mistake of having leftest intent. MGM owner Louie B. Mayer walked out of the premire because he felt the film equated wealth with fascism.

The writter I.A.R. Wylie wrote the book & script with Charles Lindbergh in mind. Mayer, after Citizen Kane, was worried that William Hearst would think it was him. Both of the rich assholes were Nazi's. You wonder how it got made, but I think it was Wylie who pushed it thru.

It did make some money, but at the time it was considered a bomb.

I saw this movie, like 5 years ago, and I thought it's ending...with Hepburn giving a speech explaining her Nazi hero husban, went over the line & didn't really work. Now with Trump in the White House doing all the fascist things discribed in the movie...I love it. It's gone from ***1/4 to ****. With Donny around, it all believable.---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Return to old topic: THE HUSTLE is opening today. It's carried by Anne Hathaway with help by Rebel Wilson. Maybe no one cares, but it's a big test of her box office. Lets see how that goes.

BIG QUESTION: Is John going to see TOLKIEN? How much will hate will it bring to the board. ---Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trailer for TOLKIEN looked like an old English film without any life. Couldn't see how anyone could make a good film about the young Tolkien, & I knew it would take someone special to get it to work. Nothing I read made me think it was worth anything I figured it was just a studio trying to make a buck off of LORD OF THE RINGS. It bombed over the weekend, coming in 9th. I figured I had better see it tonight because it would be out of theaters by Thursday. I went to the 10:30 show on $6 night in Pico Rivera, and I was the only person in the audience.

TOLKIEN is a great movie. About language, friendship, art & love of all types. Every second was wonderful. Very intelligent work of art. Well made & full of great English actors. Everyone is wonderful. The stars Nicholas Hoult & Lily Collins are going to be major serous actors & I'm always going to go to their project. It's going to be my favorite film of 2019. Any critic who doesn't like this movie has meat in his skull instead of brains. His critic license should be revoked and he should be shipped to Mexico. The Tolkien family should just shut up and see that this was a wonderful tribute to Tolkien. If they took Tolkien's name off of it...it would still be a great film. ****1/3.---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GAME OF THRONES episode 5 and 6 were great. A fit ending to the greatest TV show of all time. Perfect...couldn't be better. ****2/3. And John Snow petted his wolf. Wonderful ending after all these years.---Steve Yohe
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't watch Game of Thrones, but I can imagine that, regarding all those people who are complaining that GoT had the wrong ending and should have ended differently, Yohe would be telling those people to fuck off. :)
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes...that's what I was doing. They are dumb asses.---Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Lots of Dead guys Reply with quote

JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 3: PARABELLUM I liked a lot. Guess everyone knows the John Wick films are stunt films set in a fantasy world...and that's what you get. There is more actual wrestling in this film, than you would ever see on any WWE event. Realistic too. Like with shoot them in the head. Characters are all interesting & played by good actors. I would rate this with ATOMIC BLOND as the best of it's type. ***2/3 At this point, I'm a fan of anything Keanu Reeves does. Halle Berry kills a lot of people & the dogs are cool.---Steve Yohe
corrado

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How was Boban in this? Did he steal the show?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77  Next
Page 74 of 77

Jump to: