The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yohe's Movie Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Widows is more of a art house film. It's going to get attention at the Oscars, because of the director & the black cast. What bugged me about it, is that I saw a lot of potential in the project that wasn't fulfilled. I gave it ***1/4. A lot of other people liked it. I think Spike Lee could have done a better job with it.

At the very least, the movie is interesting. They were making a caper movie that would involve social issues (in Chicago). I thought the director didn't get the caper part over. It involves a rich guy who has 5 million in his house in $100's. A part of the story has the women blackmailing the maker of the safe for the combination the day before the robbery. A huge hole, they just tried to hide. What if the guy refused to be blackmailed?

The girl I talked about seems to have a boxing or MMA background. Maybe she is a dancer. In "Bad Times", she sang, maybe she's from the rap world. She can run better that 80% of men & looks kick ass....let was very sympatric, without being over emotional & and at the same time powerful. She has had two major parts this year, directors must see something in her.

"Bad Times" had a bunch of major actors, just going over the top, and she steals the movie. Maybe everyone knows about her, and & I'm just slow catching up.---Yohe
guren

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
The girl I talked about seems to have a boxing or MMA background. Maybe she is a dancer. In "Bad Times", she sang, maybe she's from the rap world. She can run better that 80% of men & looks kick ass....let was very sympatric, without being over emotional & and at the same time powerful. She has had two major parts this year, directors must see something in her.

I had never heard of her until the first reviews for Widows came out a couple of weeks ago. According to Wiki, she won a Tony Award in 2016 and a Grammy in 2017. If she happens to win an Oscar, she will be 3/4 of the way to an EGOT, an exclusive club with only 15 members. You mentioned the running. In 2016, she ran a half-marathon in well under 2 hours and performed in two plays later that same day. Pretty darn impressive.

glenn
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Year is about over & I see very few Oscar worthy movies. Is this a STAR IS BORN year. Seems you can't get nominated unless you make a gay, black or some type of woman's film. Is everyone going for BLACK PANTHER? It wasn't even the best Marvel film this year.

You know in wrestling and boxing in the early years and into the 1950's, every black wrestle,r & some boxers, white guys wanted to push....were named Black Panther. Just about every black wrestler was called Black Panther by white promoters. When the white guys at Marvel decided they needed to create a black hero, their big idea was a black king from Africa named Black Panther. It something white people have always done. It's their first thought, every time. A black cat thing, like Sammy Davis Jr. Now we have a movie with a super hero named BP. It's pretty close to a racist stereotype word. One that blacks like, but Ok.

The Oscars have turned into a PC thing, and now they've cancelled a black street level popular funny performer, as announcer because of some gay jokes from his past. Comedy is dead if you can't talk shit. Now all they care about is rating, and it's network TV, with ratings dropping everywhere.

All the kids are playing video games or waiting in line for the next new machine gimmick or telephone.

Oh yeah, you can get nominated if you play a English Queen too. Used to be a alcoholic could get a nomination, but those were white male parts & it doesn't work today, unless it's a woman. A gay, woman, black slave would probably work for an actor.---Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at my posts from this year, I think the best movie I've seen (so far) has been ANNIHILATION. I think it bombed.

Others I liked:
Solo: A Star Wars Story---Didn't make money
Bad Times At The Royale--Bomb
The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs--Netflicks (so not a real movie)
First Man--Bomb but only one who might get nominated
Mission Impossible--Fallout
Sicario: Day Of The Soldado--Bomb
Alpha--Bomb
Outlaw King--Netflicks
Isle Of Dogs
Annihilation--Bomb & no one saw it

8 of these I'll buy the bluerays.

So my favorite film was (so far) OUTLAW KING or maybe MISSION IMPOSSIBLE.

I spent most of the year not going because there was nothing to see. But this was a year of shity film and a bunch of disappointing movies. GREEN BOOK I think I've like. Mary Queen of Scotts...but I don't see anything there to really want to go to. And last year was great.---Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE MULE I enjoyed a lot. Eastwood is more fun that anything else. Well made , written, and acted. Bradley Cooper come off real well. ***1/2. Not a lot of violence. The trailer is very misleading. The Mexicans I saw the movie with, liked the racial jokes...as did I. If you think you want to see the movie, you'll like it. If your not interested in a film staring a 90 year old....you can miss this one. Clint's sex scenes with young chicks....really great.---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was my night for queens:

THE FAVOURITE had a great first 3/4 of a movie. Really good art movie. The acting, and everything in the movie was great. Olivia Colman, Emma Stone, and Rachel Weisz were all Oscar worthy. I thought I was watching the best film of the year, and then it wasn't. They didn't have an ending...at least one anyone would want to watch. Bad. I can't really explain the ending. So ***3/4. Lots of guy sex tho, and the duck is really great. Don't make a movie if you don't have an finish!!!!!

MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS was terrible. Bad casting, acting, directing & really boring. Saorse Ronan was miscast really bad & had no chance. Same with Ronan. The director seemed like an amateur. ** One of the worst of the year in a really bad year. Historically incorrect. The two never met. I find it hard to believe that the Queen's court was filled with blacks, Chinese, and cross dressers. One of her hand maids was a gay guy. Bad.

These were the two films I thought would be good.---Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't see comments on Creed II.

Green Book got good reviews. If Beale Street Could Talk and Cold War are art house movies that have gotten exceptional reviews, but no one is going to see them. Cold War will get a foreign film nomination, and may win.

I have been looking forward to Vice, but it's got mixed reviews.

Spider-verse is pretty universally loved, both be critics and people who have seen it.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to see Green Book for weeks & can't get there. How it's leaving theaters. Would have gone yesterday but wanted to see two films & the times didn't work.

Vice I want to see. Then I'll look at the superhero stuff.

John if you see Mary Queen of Scotts, your going to throw up. Like I said the Queen Anne film is good until the finish.--Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AQUAMAN is 2 hour & 15 minutes of CG hell. *1/2 I can't review it, because I'm doing my best to forget it.--Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my good friends, Glenn Bray, has made a documentary movie on one of the greatest lost artist of the 20th century.....Stanislav Szukalski...and it's playing on Netflix. It's wonderful. **** It's called STRUGGLE: THE LIFE AND LOST ART OF SZUKALSKI. See this movie.--Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VICE was a disappointment. I thought it would be a interesting satire poking fun at the Bush era, but it ended up a propaganda documentary like a Michael Moore film...only using actors...attacking Dick Cheney and the Republicans. I'm all for that, but we got worst monsters to fight today. Christian Bale gives a great performance but most of the jokes were in the trailer, and it has direction and editing problems. It leaves stuff out & seems like a hi-light reel. Nothing we don't know is in it. I don't see it being worthy of a best picture nomination. Bale should probably get something. The acting is good. For what it is...it's Ok. but no big deal. *** It was about 14 years too late.

Watched ROMA on Netflicks, and that was a mistake. Another one of it's films that deserves to be seem in a theater. It's a film about a servant type housekeeper in Mexico City, going about her business over like 5 months in 1971. It is a masterpiece of film making by a major director. It's in 70 mm, and filmed like it was BEN HUR. It's a tribune by Alfonso Cvaron to the woman who raised him. BUT it's not really about much. It's just a "day in the life" thing. I don't know what the movie is trying to say. The girl, is a poor Indian, but she seems to have an OK life and is treated well. I'm married to a Mexican and I live with them. People are treated worst that that in Mexico. But it a **** movie and worth seeing. The direction and photography is exceptional. As well made as any movie could be.

There is on scene in ROMA, in which the housekeeper goes around turning off lights after everyone else goes to bed. Maybe 10 lights & it's over two to three minutes. Not a big moment. To film it, the director makes 42 cuts, and it gives the feeling like it's just one shot. (In real 70 mm Ken.)

There is a lot of talk about this getting a Best Picture Oscar. It's possible, in a really bad year (this is my opinion, because the newspapers think it's been wonderful). I would think we have another Mexican winning Best Director, and the housekeep might win an acting award. Technical awards it could & should clean up on. It's in Spanish, so it may get nothing.

It's possible that this is A STAR IS BORN year at the Oscars. It's the prototype woman's movie in film history, and women now control the Oscars. Then again it could be a different film with a black or gay theme. I really have no idea. ROMA is the closest thing we have to classic movie.

Obama had ANNIHILATION in his top 10 list. It's name is popping up on lists. It could be my choice as best picture. It also was a Netflicks film.

I've been trying to get to GREEN BOOK but haven't been able. Wish X-mass & and the rest of the BS would go away.--Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREEN BOOK was great. Reminded me of the great "feel good" movies of the 1940's. By far, one of the best of 2018. Mortenson has always been a favorite with me, and now Mahershala Ali makes the list. Ali is major & seems able to play any part. The two are really funny. ****1/8. The wife Linda Cardelini brings a lot to the movie. Everyone should see it.--Steve Yohe
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spider-Man: Into the Spidey-Verse was a really good film. They do a nice job of incorporating Miles Morales, but take a few twists on the traditional Spider-Man storyline. What makes it work, though, is Miles has to grow into the role and learn to appreciate what he has along the way.

I never would have expected an alternative universe of Peter Parker as an aging, out-of-shape guy to work well, but it does. It's a nice twist in how somebody who you least expect to be a mentor can become one.

They also did a good job incorporating the alternative version of Gwen Stacy, who provides another fun take on Spider-Man.

They do have some fun with the "alternate universe" versions of characters, but they aren't doing it for the sake of doing it.

I'd have to watch it again, but it might be the best of the Spider-Man films.

The animation style is unique, though. I had no issues with it, but people who like cleaner animation may not care for the style in the film.

Anyway, it's a good film, well worth seeing.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey one of John's favorite directors & movie makers has returned from the dead. M. Night Shyamaian's GLASS is a good movie. Uses film techniques, instead of CG effect, to create a super hero movie. James McAvoy gives an unbreakable performance. A lot of people are not going to like it, because they are hooked on Marvel & the DC crap, but M. Night is very smart....making his movie for only 20 mil. The first weekend it made 80 mil, so he's got a hit....even if the total doesn't match Wonder Woman. Give it ***3/4. Wish there was more of Bruce Wills in it. How about of review John?

I've turned into a Charles Laughton freak, and Netflicks is making me interested in painters, so I watched REMBRANDT on Turner a couple of nights ago. This was a film I knew very little about, but it was an English film made in 1936 with Laughton & his wife Else Lanchester, so I figured it would be interesting. REMBRANDT is a Alexander Korda masterpiece, and one of Laughton's greatest performances. I now consider Charles baby to be one of the greatest actors of all time. It's one of the greatest artistic moments in film history. The highlight is maybe 4 monologues by Laughton. Without warning, Rembrandt...stops being an egotistic jerk...and gives speeches on the mysteries of women or moments out of scriptures. These moments stops everyone in the movie... and in the audience. Drains the air out of the room. Ten King Kongs punching out a T-rex couldn't have produced a more touching moment in film history. ****1/3 This is a movie I will always remember...well at least for a couple more years. (Don't run out to see it, I doubt you'll have the same reaction. It was a huge bomb in 1936.) Wonderful movie.---Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split put him back on the map, tying into Unbreakable. When that became a hit, it allowed him to make this as the "trilogy". Box office in the US for this one is on par with the opening weekend of Split, with the boost of MLK Day that Split didn't have. Split had pretty good legs. Not sure this will.

Shyamalan has been on a "comeback" since he went to making extremly cheap films since no one really wanted to give him more money anymore. The Visit was made for $5M, got his best reviews since Signs, and made $60M in the US. Split was more of the same - $9M budget, decent reviews, and $130M+ in the US.

This one kind of got crapped on, even by people who loved Split.

Confess that I'm not a huge fan of Split. As some point I just stopped giving a shit about / wanting to see movies where psycho dude kidnaps women (in this case teenage girls), torments them, kills them (in this case eats them to boot), kills his lady doctor, and Our Hero Girl is forced through hell to try to escape. The body count was relatively low in Split, and it was reasonably well reviewed for the Torment & Kill Girls genre (though there are a lot of ones in the past couple of decades rated significantly better)... but not my thing.

Unbreakable, though, remains one of the greatest superhero movies ever made.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 71 of 74

Jump to: