The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yohe's Movie Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 72, 73, 74  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eron

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: More losers Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
The Mummy 3 sucks. All CG, no story. The actors deserved better. **

That's what I keep hearing. Oh well, seeing it tonight. There's a theatre in Windsor that lets you see a movie for $4.50 on a Tuesday. Can't beat that.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*) I liked TRAITOR. Well made I thought. ***1/2

*) BANGKOK DANGEROUS was OK to watch but after it's over, you realize it didn't work. Cage was interesting doing a Steve McQueen role but the finish was bad. ** 2/3

*) Rightious Kill I just saw & I didn't like it. **1/4

Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell us more about Rightious Kill. How were the actors?

John
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old farts looking for something to do. The best scenes were the two lifting weights in the police gym and Bob having rough sex with a 30 year old.

The director sucked so the movie had no chance. It would have taken a talented guy to put it off.

Still...I went. John don't bother. Finish seeing Batman.

Yohe
eron

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
The director sucked so the movie had no chance. It would have taken a talented guy to put it off.

Heat was a film that while Pacino and DeNiro was the huge selling point, they could fall back on selling the idea of it being a great fucking film.

Righteous Kill seems to just have Pacino and DeNiro, and nothing else.

You know, just a side note, but I just watched Wall Street for the hell of it last night and read later how Daryl Hannah won a Razzie for Worst Supporting Actress. Now, Daryl was pretty dull, she sometimes looked like a man and just didn't fit in at all, but she still had *acting ability* and I really gotta wonder how many people the Razzies have to wade through these days who have none what so ever. Just a comment, since 50 Cent is in Righteous Kill, and Get Rich or Die Trying was dogshit.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: MIRACLE AT ST ANNA Reply with quote

MIRACLE AT ST ANNA was a very good movie. Should be one of the best of the year. Spike Lee seems able to make any type of film. Very well done. ****1/8--Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: BURN AFTER READING Reply with quote

Saw BURN AFTER READING a couple of weeks ago. Enjoyed it but don't understand what it was saying. Don't understand using the best leading man in film & have him play a nerd & give him only 20 minute sceen time. But it was fun.......***1/2--Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHANDELING is a great movie about Los Angeles history. Major film & will be one of the best of 2008. **** I see Nominations for Clint (direction & music), The movie & Jolie & maybe a few other.

One of the best CG movie. The last scene is a great shot of 1930's Broadway in towntown LA which shows a view of all the old movie theators (then new) all the way to city hall. Someone also was able to hide all of Jolie's tatoos.

ROCK N ROLLA was good too. Really cool movie. I'm ready for Part 2. ***3/4
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CADILLAC RECORDS is very good movie. Jeffrey Wright becomes a leading man, one of few with true "cool"...and Beyonce Knowles should get a nomination. **** Loved it.

PUNISHER: WAR ZONE is a bloodly mess. Bad. Go spend your money on comic books. *

Hated AUSTRALIA. Seemed like another gay cowboy movie with CG cows. Should have used some of the CG budget of making the leading lady look better. Terrible. Should be one on the big bombs of the year. *----Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liked Tom Cruise vs Hitler ( VALKYRIE). A serious old style movie with English actors playing Germans. Handles the subject well. The German people should thank Cruise for making it. Not great but worth the time & well made. ***

DOUBT is major film. Streep & Hoffman are great banging heads. Major acting movie. Direction may have been a little weak. Still **** At the end I was wondering what had I just watched. Your idea of who is moral and who isn't changes thru out the movie. When the film was over, I was watching the credits &realized there were more people staying than normal & the place was full. I turned around to check out the people & count heads (like Meltzer taught us), and it looked like church. Everyone looked like old Catholics & dress like it. They seemed to like the movie. I grew up going to Catholics schools for 10 years and was very close to the nuns & priests & the film nails the experience. They were different kinds of people. The film is a very respectful examination of the religion but shows it's faults too. (I doubt the whole fucking religion.) Streep & Hoffman should get nominations but the person who just steals the movie & should get a Oscar is the mother of the black boy (Viola Davis???). In a 5 minute part she changes your whole idea of what the movie is about. Blows away Streep.

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON is just what it is and I liked it. Works for the most part. I liked the war part. ****

SEVEN POUNDS. Liked the movie a lot. Will Smith is the greatest movie star in the world for making money with this type of film. I'm in love with Rosario Dawson. ***1/3

THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL Terrible terrible terrible. Don't remake a classic unless you know what made the first one work. * I could go on forever raging on this film but I have to go to the gym. They have the Allen Keanu Reeves taking off in his space ship and they have to stop all the machine's on earth for no reason because they forgot to pull the gimmick earlier in the movie...and that's the name of the movie.

GRAN TORINO is the great Eastwood finish to his acting career. Very funny & I was in a house filled with Asians. He made this film waiting for the CG & special effects to be finished on the CHANGELING. As with last year, his second film ends up better than his first. Both are great tho. ****

Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen THE INTERNATIONAL twice and I liked it. Sorry it's not going to make money. Has one of the best gunfights in film history. Camera work with the long shots I liked. ***7/8

FROST/NIXON I think is really over rated, but still enjoyed it. Problem to me, is I watched the TV interview at the time and Dick didn't say much. Just covering his ass. I don't go with the storyline that Frost was a bimbo. He was on THAT WAS THE WEEK THAT WAS & that was a major show. The Oscar should have dumped this one for BATMAN. ***

THE READER I liked better than any film this year. Major work with a lot of layers to it. **** John's mother should get the DVD. She's the only person who agrees with me.

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE Ok but didn't get to me. ***1/3

TAKEN is Liam Neeson kicking everyone's ass like he's Hulk Hogan. I think Liam was getting type cast in supporting roles & wanted to prove he was still a leading man who could do action. Guess he did with 100 mil in the bank. Biggest surprise in years but not much of a movie. **1/2

UNDERWORLD 3--- Weak. They made three of these? *1/2 Frost plays a werewolf.

Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: April 2009 Reply with quote

DUPLICITY--Liked it. Sophisticated type caper film. Fun. Don't know if they hit the nail on the head but can't say why. Type of movie I like to see them making. Saw it twice, the second time in Las Vegas. Yeah I went to Vegas, and all I could do is go to the movies. Good on second watching. I'm a fan of Tony Gilroy. ***1/2

FAST & FURIOUS--Ok. Got my interest. Liked the actors...even Vin. But when it's over you realize it's not very good. Ending is weak. **1/2

STATE OF PLAY--Good movie but a plote twist gives the film a statement that might upset some people. It doesn't go where you think its going. Well made and great acting. I'm a huge fan of Robin Wright Penn. Partly written by Tony Gilroy. ****
eron

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: April 2009 Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
STATE OF PLAY--Good movie but a plote twist gives the film a statement that might upset some people. It doesn't go where you think its going. Well made and great acting. I'm a huge fan of Robin Wright Penn. Partly written by Tony Gilroy. ****

Just seen this tonight. Seen it with a bunch of journalism students in my program. Everyone laughed at the sheer amount of ethic violations in journalism and laughed at how the paper was held off print for 4 hours. Otherwise, great movie. I thought the movie had one too many twists, but it didn't hurt the movie. Hopefully, the Anti-Ben thing viewers have had for a few years is gone.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liked STAR TREK a lot. Moved well. Lot of fun. Probably one of the best.****

X-MEN ORIGINS WOLVERINE--Ordinary/mediocrity comic book stuff.**1/8

EARTH--If I was the bear I would have eatten the cameraman. Not fun watching doomed animals. Nice pictures. Jumps around too much with no real story.**

SOLOIST--I liked a lot. People applauded when it was over. Good acting. ***1/4
Iron Chad

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta agree with Yohe, just got back from Star Trek and it was a blast, well paced, great casting, good acting. My only complaint is the same complaint as every movie where "shaky camera=action", but it was minimal. Fantastic way to reboot the franchise without making it a prequel and pissing of people like me who watched the show and the previous movies.

-Chad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 2 of 74

Jump to: